Hypertherm vs. Thermal Dynamics Comparison

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Hypertherm vs. Thermal Dynamics Comparison

Post by jmsrbrt »

Anyone have any actual experience and can tell me what, if any, differences there are in using a Thermadyne cutter versus the Hypertherm? My interest is in cutting 3/16" and smaller steel. One better thatn the other (and why) or they about the same?
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
grogmeister
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Plasma cutter comparison

Post by grogmeister »

hi , i can;t say for sure what ones better ,i have one of each and they both work good ,the hypertherm is quite a bit heavier to lift if that means anything,one thing i like about hypertherm is jim colt can answer any questions on it which makes me lean that way a bit ,but i think they;re both good,
Possumplasma
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Possumplasma »

Speaking personally, I wouldn't consider using anything other that Hypertherm however, check the duty cycles of each machine and, I think you'll find the Hypertherm comes out on top.
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

I have had both and cut quailty relies more on set up of the machine ... Both have made great cut quality and also poor quality...You need to have your settings just right.
isthmus
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by isthmus »

Hypertherm. But a skilled hand at Thermadyne won't make the work suffer any. I prefer Hypertherm when cutting the smaller details.
Last edited by isthmus on Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetwerkz
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Streetwerkz »

I don't have comparison info, just noting that I have enjoyed my Hypertherm since 2004.
As with any tool, practice makes...
Joshua Robinson
www.Streetwerkz.com
knoeberm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by knoeberm »

I've used both HT and TD recently on a plasmacam table. The TD was a cutmaster 51, so not very new, but a 40 amp machine. The HT is a PM 45, 45 amp machine, just installed within the last 5 weeks. To me, the HT is a clear choice for these reasons.
1. Cut speeds are much higher - but it also has another 5 amps of power.
2. Better consumable life - I'm getting about a third more cuts.
3. More reliable - The HT fires every time. The TD would "misfire" about once every 60 pierces or so. I'd have to take the torch apart and blow it out to get it to keep cutting. I believe this was nothing more than filings getting into the tip and "shorting it out." This led the computer to read a cutting signal, and begin to move, when it was not in fact cutting. The HT has not done this, even when doing a job that had in excess of 4000 pierces.
4. Less blow time before it fires. The TD I had would blow air for about 3/4 second before it would fire, every time. This adds a lot of time to detailed jobs, and makes it really hard to get the pierce times right.

Having said that, keep in mind the TD I had was at least 1 generation behind the HT I got. The new ones may not have the same issues. The cut quality from each was comparable, but I spend a lot less time fixing and waiting with the HT.
ddickson
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ddickson »

We run (2) HT-1000 units, 1 hand and 1 Table. The table runs 6 to 8 hours a day 5 -6 days a week, mostly lighter guages.
The table unit is 5+ years old. The previous unit lasted 12+ years under heavy use. Hypertherm is the leader in their industry for a good reason.When it comes to the heart of your shop, you cant afford to skimp. You get what you pay for.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I am here to help answer technical questions related to comparisons between Hyperthem and other machines. Each company has a good variety of models....and you have to be careful to compare "apples to apples". Often the Thermal Dynamics units appear to be lower priced.... but when you look at the killowatt output comparisons....which is the real factor regarding power (not Amperage)...then you will see the Hypertherm units typically are more powerful, more efficient units. Hypertherm also has a huge advantage in torch technology.....a well designed torch will provide the best cut quality as well as long consumable parts life.

I may be considered a bit biased as a longtime employee of Hypertherm....however I will provide straight answers!

Jim Colt
boodog710
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by boodog710 »

I use a Hypertherm 1250 on my Dynatorch table. This April it will be three years old. I estimate I have cut close to 10,000 parts in that time, from 22 ga to 1 inch. I have had no problems at all with the Hypertherm and would highly recommend it.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”