Powermax xp45 to g540 controller

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
rogue
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax xp45 to g540 controller

Post by rogue »

I purchased a Hypertherm xp45 with machine torch and the interface cable. I am hooking it up to my 5'x5' table that uses a g540 controller. I have been using it as a router table, but now switching it to plasma. When I first built it, I purchased a LCTHC from candCNC. Since I always used it as a router table, I never installed it.

Is it possible to hook the xp45 directly to the g540 controller? I am using MACH3 if that makes any difference. I would like to get something other than the LCTHC since it is not supported but would like to do some cutting without THC. I do have a floating head installed.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax xp45 to g540 controller

Post by weldguy »

I have not used that controller but was interested so checked it out. Looks like it could be easily done with terminal 5 or 6 from looking at the pics below.
G540.PNG
Found the manual here https://www.geckodrive.com/amfile/file/ ... uct_id/14/ if that helps any.
rogue
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rogue »

Thanks weldguy. That is the solution I found last night also. I am going to wire in a 12v relay to trigger the torch wires on the machine cable and it looks like I will be good to go. I will post up results and how I wired it for anyone looking in the future.
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

I'm running the same setup as you. I used one of these since I was powering the Gecko with a 48V ps. I just ran the relay off the same ps
https://www.amazon.com/Potter-Brumfield ... B00B888BZ4
rogue
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rogue »

Just to update for anyone looking to do this in the future.

I used the g540 breakout card from candcnc that came with the LCTHC and utilized the built in relay to trigger the torch, it has been working great. I went ahead and ordered a PROMA150 to handle THC.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Be sure you get the Proma 150 and not the SD (bad news)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”