Powermax 30 Air

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
CD82
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 30 Air

Post by CD82 »

so I am thinking about purchasing this plasma cutter...
the on boar air has me sold I have a small hobart with onboard air
but this machine just seems like just what I need..

does anyone know if you can get fine cut consumeables for the 30 air
I search for finecut tips but it just brings up the tips for the powermax 30 which appears to have a different torch..

I do small metal art stuff like tattered flags.. the powermax air might be my new best friend

another question I do have a porta cable 20 gallon air compressor belt driven
I run air sanders paint guns etc and have no issues hvlp guns take a lot of air.

I could save about 400$ an get the Powermax 30 xp and I think my compressor should run it
for no more than what I cut an do I don't run it all day every day the plasma cutter that is..

from what I see the Powermax 30 Xp comes with the Duramax LT hand torch
and you can get fine cut consumables for it

im just not finding fine cut items for the 30 air
that may be the non selling point for me
cuttinparts
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Powermax 30 Air

Post by cuttinparts »

I believe the Powermax Air has consumables designed specifically for it that will not work in any other Hypertherm unit. This is one consumable set that is used for all types of cutting, no Finecuts.

The onboard compressor in anything i have seen would be fine for short run hand cutting but for mechanized cutting I would stay away from it. Save the $400 and get the 30 XP or 45 XP and you will have a more robust setup in my opinion.
MetalnTrucks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Powermax 30 Air

Post by MetalnTrucks »

Yeah the 30 Air is a very cool machine, but I would stay away from it if you are working in a shop with room for an actual compressor. Adding a compressor inside the machine opens the possibilities for a lot of new problems. The 30 AIR is the best machine with a built in compressor IMO, but I would never buy one unless I had to for a specific application where an external compressor is simply not an option.

Depending on your usage, your current compressor should work fine with a Powermax30 XP. Worst thing that happens is the machine stops cutting and throws a low pressure error light.

Your only concern with a small compressor is often times they don't do well running heavy duty cycles. So if it's running 100% of the time trying to keep up with your plasma you'll find yourself needing a new compressor soon haha. I'd say save the $400 and buy the 30XP. If your compressor is too small sell it and use that $400 you saved to upgrade to something bigger.

Fine Cut Consumables: I actually prefer the regular consumables on my Powermax30 XP over the fine cut when doing metal art. I make wall art from stencils with 16 gauge steel and find that I was more comfortable with the regular consumables. When you purchase the 30XP it comes with both sets of consumables with parts numbers. So test them out and then order which ever you like better.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”