done with pm65

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
t-tracks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

done with pm65

Post by t-tracks »

Previously on my old torchmate table i used to have a hyp600 loved that cutter, so many hours were on that unit, when i built my new plasma table with newest candcnc and blade runner package with dthc5 i bought a new hyp65, this cutter has been constantly throwing codes 0-30 then 0-50 codes, i have clean dry air with lots of pressure (90-130psi) and 3/4 pipe so lots of volume, my last filter on side of unit is the metal spin on filter. seams to almost cut 1/4 of a 5x10 sheet then constantly shuts down, i pull consumables out clean ends put back in an same thing 10min later. they are new when i start sheet, i have replaced torch body use new hyp cons... and this is just the begining, i now think my voltage divider has burnt out, i have no torch volts, i am upset with this unit an ready for my old dependable unit back. i am going to call tomorrow to see if I have warrenty but also cant aford the down time.
Attachments
20190825_115016.jpg
SegoMan DeSigns
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: done with pm65

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Jim Colt posted this on another thread:

Post by jimcolt » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:48 am
I'll be happy to help you solve the 0-30 error code issue on your Powermax. The 0-30 indicates stuck consumables. The electrode inside the torch must move freely from its contact position with the nozzle (at rest) to its fully retracted position (upwards in the torch). The first, and most common thing that causes the electrode to not properly retract is worn consumables, especially the electrode or the swirl ring. Assuming you may have already replaced those and the issue persisted, here is a list (in order of most common issues to cause a 0-30) that will help you solve the issue.

1. Overtightened retaining cap. The consumables retaining cap holds the consumables in place and directs air flow through the torch for developing the plasma cutting arc as well as for torch body and shield cap cooling. It seals to the torch body with an o-ring . Overtightening this cap can distort the swirl ring inside the torch....which can impede electrode movement. Loosen the cap and re-tighten so it is just snug enough so the nozzle is held in place. Often this solves the 0-30 error code.

2. Inlet air pressure starvation. First, I will tell you that if you do not have a pressure gauge tee'd directly on the plasma cutter inlet fitting, then you will not be able to troubleshoot this issue. A gauge anywhere else in your air system cannot get the real time static and dynamic inlet pressure readings necessary to determine if this is the cause of the 0-30 code. You can buy a 150 psi pressure switch and a few plumbing fittings at any local hardware store for $10 or $12, so get the parts and install one. Read the pressure on this gauge when no air is flowing at the torch, then read the pressure with air flowing. You will see a lower reading when the air is flowing and the difference in the two pressures is the result of pressure drop caused by the components in your air plumbing system. Hose diameter, hose length affect dynamic (flowing pressure). Every fitting decreases the dynamic pressure. The biggest culprit will be filters, moisture traps, etc., often they are rather free flowing when new, but with some particulate buildup or moisture they will restrict flow and lower your dynamic pressure when air flows at the torch Keep in mind that your compressor also likely has a low pressure activation (when the motor/pump turns on at the lowest point of its cycle (check this gauge reading when the compressor first activates) and a shut off when it reaches its highest pressure. Don't brush this off because you have a 30 hp compressor with a 1000 gallon tank......those things mean nothing, the plumbing between your compressor and the plasma inlet fitting is what affects the dynamic (flowing) pressure. If the pressure (dynamic) ever gets close to 90 psi, then this may be the problem. I like to see inlet pressure somewhere around 110 to 120 psi when air is flowing at the torch, and in some cases you may need to increase the low pressure cut-on pressure on your compressor. This often solves the 0-30 error code. Other things.....if there is a lot of difference between static and dynamic pressure on this inlet gauge (I have seen the pressure drop as much as 25 to 30 psi when torch air flow activates) then you may want to determine what in your plumbing system is causing the issue.

3. Piercing too close. Pay careful attention to the pierce height....not what you set the pierce height at, but what it is actually achieving for pierce height. If the torch tries to pierce too close to the work piece...that can pinch off air flow in the torch and it can impede the internal electrode movement. This happens more often with the FineCut consumables.

4. Aftermarket Consumables. They come in packages that look very much like Hypertherm packaging. The consumables look the same. If you got a great deal on these consumables online....then you probably have consumables made offshore that claim to be genuine parts. These consumables cost less to buy, cost more to use (they don't last long), and can overheat and damage your torch. A common cause of 0-30 error codes.

5. Internal air flow issues with the Powermax. Most often this can be a plugged onboard moisture trap / filter. Check them per the troubleshooting section in your operators manual. If the filter bowl and filter show signs of oil or water droplets.....then this may be the cause.

Last, but not least, the Hypertherm technical service team is second to none. I rarely hear of issues where they do not respond to customers. Make sure you are using the contact information from the operators manual, 1 800 643 9878 or technical.service@hypertherm.com , and that you are providing them with the correct callback info. They are there to help you and are very well trained at what they do. Good luck, Jim Colt
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

Hi. I know somewhat how you feel! I have fought code 30 since I started cutting 9 years ago. Just now the last 2 days no more code 30. Over tight consumables was the culprit. I started snugging with 2 fingers and thumb than backing off 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Doesnt make sence te me but so far it WORKS.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

My 45xp, my 9 year old 65 and 85 systems have never displayed a 0-30 error code. The two biggest culprits are overtightened retaining cap and inlet air starvation. If you do not have a pressure gauge tee'd directly on your air inlet fitting......then you have no idea what the dynamic inlet pressure is on your Powermax. (dynamic is the pressure read with a gauge at the inlet while air is flowing at the torch, trust me, it will be lower than the pressure at your air source due to frictional losses of components in the air system, and has nothing to do with the size of the compressor. Running a close third as the cause of a 0-30 is a worn out swirl ring, 4th is piercing too close to the material (especially if using Finecut consumables, 5th is aftermarket consumables. Giving up on a Powermax with an error code is like scrapping a new car because the engine light is on. The error code is part of the built in diagnostics to keep the Powermax running as it was designed. Yes....there could be an internal issue, for that you should send the unit back to your supplier, or work with Hypertherm tech support at technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 . Free, and they are awesome at helping you solve issues. Jim Colt
t-tracks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by t-tracks »

on my next sheet i cut i am going to keep the retainer not as tight, its new parts so will see how it goes, its like when it gets warm it gets tight then sticks, all i have to do sometimes is loosen cap an re tighten and fires back up for a while. i have a guage tee in on last line befor going into cutter its all good there. i will try not as tight on retainer
t-tracks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by t-tracks »

as for the no voltage divider i hav warrenty and will have to tak out of service one day to fix, in mean time i ordered a rav-01 voltage reader from comandcnc to install until i can pull off table.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”