Powermax 900 consumables or Duramax upgrade

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
wyofreeride
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 900 consumables or Duramax upgrade

Post by wyofreeride »

I'm having a hard time finding a reliable source for 55A consumables for my Powermax 900 (120577 and 120573 mainly) so I have 2 main questions for the older machine owners and the experts.

Is there a good reliable place to get consumables that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for shipping, and has parts actually in stock?

Is the extra ~$820 worth it to upgrade the torch and have readily available consumables, and are the consumable really lasting 6 times longer? I can usually get about a full sheet/maybe sheet and a half of 3/8" plate cut out (about 200 pierces) with the current parts I'm running, so at that rate it will be a while before I can make up the cost of the torch in potential consumable life savings.

If the cut quality improves, and/or I can really get 6+ sheets of 3/8" out of a set of consumables, then it might be worth it.

Is the cut quality any better on thinner material with the duramax torch? Is the ability to use the finecut consumables worth the upgrade too?

That was more than two I guess, just trying to be an informed user at this point. Thanks in advance for any input.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 900 consumables or Duramax upgrade

Post by plasmanewbie »

Man if your getting that much cutting out of a consumable set I wouldn't change a thing!!!!

Can't help on a reliable source, sorry. Won't your local welding shop stock them for you if you ask?
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Powermax 900 consumables or Duramax upgrade

Post by Ironken »

I use https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com/
Free ship over $50

Or

https://bakersgas.com/

Very happy with both. Baker's stocks oddball Hobart filler metals that I use.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”