torch height control

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Iron Beaver
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

torch height control

Post by Iron Beaver »

just purchased a hypertherm powermax 105, BEST thing that ever happened ! have 2 thermal dynamics and they suck !!!!
now i have a torch height control problem and this jerk from EZ CUT cnc toldme to never cut below .125 on height of torch, hypertherm sugests .060 and he said they dont know what they are talking about ! really, i need a good torch height control that i can retrofir into my EZ cut (muticam) machine , is there any sugestions out there ?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: torch height control

Post by acourtjester »

I have used Price CNC THC and thinK it is very easy to attach to a table and has a very good price
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PriceCNC-AVHC1 ... SwzaJX85hm

here is a video on how I installed it on my table
https://youtu.be/EyZJVMtzKzY
Last edited by acourtjester on Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Iron Beaver wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 pm just purchased a hypertherm powermax 105, BEST thing that ever happened ! have 2 thermal dynamics and they suck !!!!
now i have a torch height control problem and this jerk from EZ CUT cnc toldme to never cut below .125 on height of torch, hypertherm sugests .060 and he said they dont know what they are talking about ! really, i need a good torch height control that i can retrofir into my EZ cut (muticam) machine , is there any sugestions out there ?
Jim Colt may disagree with those statements.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Before you get too mad at your EZ rep know that the cut height is mostly a measurement from the end of the halfnium to the workpiece. Thermal Dynamics classic machines had a much closer distance from end of halfnium to the very end of the lower most part of the last consumable thus giving you a taller cut height than your smaller Hypertherms (45-85amp usage). The Powermax 105 @ 105 amps has no cut height recommended by hypertherm less than .125 and that is on the thinnest recommended cut height on 1/4" steel at 156ipm. So yes EZ was correct that .125 is right for running at 105 amps. However it goes down to .060 at 85amps and can go even lower using finecut.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

BTA is correct on the height settings for the Powermax125. The EZ Cut height control (from my experience) works very well when the correct settings are used. Follow the suggested settings in the Powermax125....there are over 30 pages of cut charts that are as close as you will get to correct cut height, pierce height, pierce delay times, cut speeds, kerf width etc. Jim Colt
Iron Beaver
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Iron Beaver »

we were running 45 amp fine cut while having the problem. we found out that if we slow our feed rate down the torch height controller has time to adjust the head and it will track at .060 height but it adds more slag...... what is the best torch height control and can we add it to this machine
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Iron Beaver wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:49 am we were running 45 amp fine cut while having the problem. we found out that if we slow our feed rate down the torch height controller has time to adjust the head and it will track at .060 height but it adds more slag...... what is the best torch height control and can we add it to this machine
Have you tried simply reducing your amperage to match the slower cut speed? I am confident you can eliminate or at least dramatically reduce your dross accumulation by doing this.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”