Powermax 1000 - problems which generation powerboard?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Spartaeus
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 1000 - problems which generation powerboard?

Post by Spartaeus »

I bought a used powermax 1000 a couple years ago. I used it a few times the first year. Then when I tried using this year, it would guit after a minute or 2. On hot days it acts worse. I've read on the internet that there were 3 generations of the powermax 1000. And they said the 2nd generation power board had serious problems which hypertherm corrected on the 3rd generation machine.
Can anyone tell me what generation my plasma cutter is ??? It was shipped out of the factory on July of 2006.
It's serial number 1000- 033675
The tech at hypertherm seemed to be useless. All he said was they had no record of any problems and no recalls.
I guess hypertherm doesn't want to admit to any design flaws in their machines.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 1000 - problems which generation powerboard?

Post by jimcolt »

No, the Powermax1000, 1250 and 1650 are called G3 (generation 3 of Hypertherm inverter based systems. The newer Powermax45xp, 65, 85 and 105 are called G4, I suspect the next versions will be G5. The Powermax1000's were all the same (assuming they are for that same voltage rating). Powerboards from the first built to the last built (12 years span, roughly 60,000 units) are interchangeable. There are always board updates as some components such as IC's have some changes from their manufacturers, however the changes do not affect the interchangeability of the boards or their operation. I worked at Hypertherm 41 years....retired now. There were no recalls on the boards to my knowledge. I have one of the 1st 10 Powermax1000's built, still runs great. I replaced the air regulator about 8 years ago....that is it. Hypertherm would and has admitted to design issues and stands 100 percent behind every product. Usually the symptoms you mention (intermittent operation) would be along the lines of 1. a faulty fan, 2. a corroded connection (disconnect power, unplug and replug every internal connector 4 or 5 times to clean corrosion, use contact cleaner on each as well. 3. thoroughly blow out the dust. 4. Be sure the cover and the circuit board insulator are properly installed (affects cooling flow). The service manual for the Powermax1000 is downloadable at www.Hypertherm.com for free. Most parts are still available for the 1000 and tech service can suggest a regional repair facility....the unit is a great plasma cutter, better than most new ones on the same power level. I'll be happy to help you determine the issues as well. Jim Colt
Spartaeus
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Spartaeus »

From what I'very read on the welding Web, there were problems with the G3 powermax. First issues mentioned were during the changeover from lead solder to lead free. Second issue which is mentioned in various places on the internet along with photos is the power board issue., along the mention of hypertherm making changes to eliminate that issue.
The machine I have will cut for a minute or so. Then it starts to cut intermittently for a few minutes. Then the power turns off, green light goes off. Sometimes before it turns itself off, the volts light and red lightning bolt turns on. I bypassed the on off switch. It runs a little longer, but still does the same thing. The fan comes on after cutting for about a minute if the outside Temps are hot. In cool weather it doesn't seem to get hot enough I assume to turn on.
Casaba
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Casaba »

Did you try the things that Jim suggested? I’m pretty sure he’s putting you on the right path and since I have a 12 year-old PowerMax 1000 I am interested in where this goes. Although mine has operated great since I have had it which isn’t that long
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Changing from leaded solder to non-leaded was not a problem with the design of the Powermax1000. Hypertherm, being an environmentally friendly employee owned company changed all of its PC boards on all of its products to conform to the RoHS initiative back while the Powermax1000 was still in production. This is for safety and health reasons, nothing to do with the design or faults. I won't argue with you, but will say that there were no recalls on the circuity boards for the Powermax 1000 systems. I strongly suggest looking at my first response and follow my suggested troubleshooting. These methods solve a number of issues with almost any complex electronic based product can experience over time. Generally if there is a board problem (there is a control board and a power board) the unit will not work at all. Intermittent issues as you suggest generally are low voltage connectors that can corrode over time with heat and humidity cycles. The new info you provided may indicate a bad power on / off switch as well. I just had a similar issue in my old MillerMatic 250 welder which was flaking out periodically. Main power switch was intermittent, works great now! Jim Colt

Spartaeus wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:21 pm From what I'very read on the welding Web, there were problems with the G3 powermax. First issues mentioned were during the changeover from lead solder to lead free. Second issue which is mentioned in various places on the internet along with photos is the power board issue., along the mention of hypertherm making changes to eliminate that issue.
The machine I have will cut for a minute or so. Then it starts to cut intermittently for a few minutes. Then the power turns off, green light goes off. Sometimes before it turns itself off, the volts light and red lightning bolt turns on. I bypassed the on off switch. It runs a little longer, but still does the same thing. The fan comes on after cutting for about a minute if the outside Temps are hot. In cool weather it doesn't seem to get hot enough I assume to turn on.
elopez3
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by elopez3 »

Jim,
I am a new owner of a used Powermax 1000. I recently got the flashing red and green light. The manual does not share a lot on troubleshooting. Are there options for lower level trouble shooting, prior to taking it in and incurring tons of costs. Your thoughts are appreciated.

jimcolt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:37 pm No, the Powermax1000, 1250 and 1650 are called G3 (generation 3 of Hypertherm inverter based systems. The newer Powermax45xp, 65, 85 and 105 are called G4, I suspect the next versions will be G5. The Powermax1000's were all the same (assuming they are for that same voltage rating). Powerboards from the first built to the last built (12 years span, roughly 60,000 units) are interchangeable. There are always board updates as some components such as IC's have some changes from their manufacturers, however the changes do not affect the interchangeability of the boards or their operation. I worked at Hypertherm 41 years....retired now. There were no recalls on the boards to my knowledge. I have one of the 1st 10 Powermax1000's built, still runs great. I replaced the air regulator about 8 years ago....that is it. Hypertherm would and has admitted to design issues and stands 100 percent behind every product. Usually the symptoms you mention (intermittent operation) would be along the lines of 1. a faulty fan, 2. a corroded connection (disconnect power, unplug and replug every internal connector 4 or 5 times to clean corrosion, use contact cleaner on each as well. 3. thoroughly blow out the dust. 4. Be sure the cover and the circuit board insulator are properly installed (affects cooling flow). The service manual for the Powermax1000 is downloadable at www.Hypertherm.com for free. Most parts are still available for the 1000 and tech service can suggest a regional repair facility....the unit is a great plasma cutter, better than most new ones on the same power level. I'll be happy to help you determine the issues as well. Jim Colt
darronritter
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by darronritter »

Hi all
A while back the magic smoke escaped my plasma cutter and I've just now gotten around to removing the cover to see what went wrong. I think I found the component responsible on the circuit board (3 ceramic capacitors?). Looks like it melted the relay? above and if you look at the zoomed-out picture the transformer looks like it's gotten really hot.

Is this repairable? A new power board is about $1000 which is probably more than is thing is worth.

It's a powermax 1000

I did find some refurb 1250 boards in the $400 range... are they the same?

Thank You
Darron
Attachments
IMG_4451.jpeg
IMG_4450.jpeg
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

For $1000 I would try replacing those caps and see what happens!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

That's what I would do. Probably also replace the relay. It looks like it has a part number, so it shouldn't be difficult to find.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

are they capacitors... are you sure?

they look like PTC thermistors to me (surge supression to reduce to surge current into a transformer which has a very low resistance)

https://www.google.com/search?q=ptc+the ... =641&dpr=2

it would indicate (to me) that the transformers days are numbered or passed....

I would try to work out the circuit.
john78
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by john78 »

Machine is not worth trying to fix. PFC IGBT is also bad. If I was going to quote a repair it would include both IGBT modules, input capacitors, power board and possibly the input rectifier. Don't replace or repair the power board. The new board will blow because of the IGBT failure.
4x4 Plasma Table
Mach3 with CSMIO/IP-S
CandCNC Feather Touch & LCTHC
Hypertherm PMX 1000
Homemade Rotary Plasma Attachment

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”