Powermax 45 XP- no arc voltage (pins 5 & 6)

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Plasma629
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 45 XP- no arc voltage (pins 5 & 6)

Post by Plasma629 »

Hello All,

Im new to plasma and was connecting my CNC-THC-45 XP.

I connected pins 5&6 from CPC to my THC for the voltage but it was not reading any, I checked with a multimeter and in fact there is no voltage coming out of pins 5&6.

I have the 45xp at 15 amps with a machine torch, is this unit defective?

FYI I have not even used this unit to cut a cm yet, never fired.

I read someplaces the arc voltage is there when the torch is fired but how will my THC know to set height if thats the case?

any help will be appreciated...

regards,
Plasma629
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 45 XP- no arc voltage (pins 5 & 6)

Post by plasmanewbie »

Voltage will only be present on the CPC pins when an arc is present. Your THC will be waiting to see the voltage when you begin cutting, there will likley be a readout on somewhere either on your THC or in your software interface that will display the arc voltage when an arc is fired. Give it a test fire to see and good luck.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 45 XP- no arc voltage (pins 5 & 6)

Post by acourtjester »

As Newbie said you need a arc to get a voltage output. Most THC have a display the shows the voltage of the arc or the multimeter can be used but again an arc must be started. Since you have a 45 XP the manual will have charts with the cut voltages for different thickness of metal and amp setting.. Now so you understand most cutting will be a 0.060"(1.5 MM), the voltage to maintain that distance will be the voltage you use. The chart in the manual is a guide not and exact value it is to be used to get you in the ballpark. This video will show how to find the correct voltage to maintain that distance while setting up your table. If you use a multimeter the arc voltage will be very low as the output will be from a 50:1 divider so 100 volts arc will be 2 volts on the meter.
https://youtu.be/EyZJVMtzKzY
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”