Hypertherm XPR 170 vs Thermal Dynamics Ultra Cut 200 xt

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Dynatorch78
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Hypertherm XPR 170 vs Thermal Dynamics Ultra Cut 200 xt

Post by Dynatorch78 »

Our requirements are changing from air plasma to needing High Definition plasma.

I reached out to Dynatorch, which is who I got my first table from. They said that the recommendations the Thermal dynamics Ultra cut for high definition. I was told that this system could meet or beat anything hypertherm has.

When I was ar Fabtech it seemed like most companies are running hypertherm on their tables and TD has 100 posts on here vs Hypertherm 700 posts.

It's a big investment so looking for feedback.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm XPR 170 vs Thermal Dynamics Ultra Cut 200 xt

Post by jimcolt »

Dynatorch likes the Thermal better because of the price and the electrical interface is simpler and easier. There is no comparison in regards to cut quality on ferrous and non-ferrous materials and ease of use and low operating cost. The Hypertherm is a decade or so ahead with the XPR technology, and, the Hypertherm is made in the USA. There were around 50 XPR's at the last Fabtech show, around 8 Thermal Dynamics systems, most of those were in the T-D booth. Jim Colt
Vytas B.
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Vytas B. »

Hello Mr. Jim Colt,

Currently we are about to take a decision XPR170 or Thermal Dynamics Ultra cut 200 xt;
It seems to me that both are very decent competitors.
However from your comment "The Hypertherm is a decade or so ahead with the XPR technology," I do understand that you think different;
I would appreciate if you could comment more specifically; Why in your opinion XPR170 is so much better.
I would appreciate your answer.
Kind Regards,
Vytautas
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Because the XPR170 is a new development (released just a few months ago after over 3 years of development at Hypertherm). It has 3 different gas flow control systems depending on your needs for cutting ferrous and non-ferrous metals as well as the ability of the machines CNC control to interface with it. There are a number of new patented processes on the 170 for cutting with your preferred levels of accuracy, metallurgy or productivity. Hypertherm developed the worlds first High Definition Class plasma cutter back in the 1990's, and has led the industry with new developments since then. Hypertherm has over 30,000 high definition plasma cutting systems operating worldwide. The XPR meets ISO range 2 angularity specs on thinner mild steel and ISO range 3 angularity on stainless steel and thicker sections of mild steel, the only plasma cutter in the world that claims this kind of edge quality.Superior results on aluminum are achieved using Hypertherms Vented Water Injection technology. Three interface console technologies , the Core (lower cost to outperform other brands with similar capabilities), the Vented Water Injection (for those that need better quality on non-ferrous as well) and the Optimix (with better mixing control when using H2 / N2 and Argon mixes). Control of the entire system is handled through EtherCat interface technology which tightly links and coordinates the Plasma power supply, height control, gas flow controls and the CNC control and machine drives to coordinate motion, height and cutting processes.....eliminating the need for highly trained operators. The expertise from over 50 years of Hypertherm plasma cutting leadership is embedded in the control of all of the cutting parameters. These XPR plasma's are not for lower technology cnc machines....the machine must have the correct software and interface capability to support this new technology. Any questions? I suggest looking on the www,hypertherm.com website for further details and samples of cut quality with the XPR systems. Jim Colt

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”