Wiring help on Duramax plasma machine torch

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
steelhead
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Wiring help on Duramax plasma machine torch

Post by steelhead »

Does anyone know how to wire a Duramax retrofit machine torch in my older powermax 1000 that had a hand torch installed?
thank you for any help.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: wiring help on plasma machine torch

Post by jimcolt »

Instructions come with the upgrade torches. Basically you open the cover on the power supply and unplug the existing torch air and electrical connectors (no tools needed), then reverse the procedure with the new torch. There is an instruction manual included (CD) with every new Duramax torch upgrade kit.. Jim Colt Hypertherm
steelhead
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by steelhead »

jimcolt wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:35 am Instructions come with the upgrade torches. Basically you open the cover on the power supply and unplug the existing torch air and electrical connectors (no tools needed), then reverse the procedure with the new torch. There is an instruction manual included (CD) with every new Duramax torch upgrade kit.. Jim Colt Hypertherm
i wish it was that easy
had to plug 2 wires onto the board.
found an old post
ty
shansen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shansen »

Steelhead I have the same scenario with a new hand held Duramax torch on my old 1000. Can you share details on how you attached to the board to incorporate the trigger relay? Or what post you found? Hoping my new torch and lead will solve my no start problems.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

shansen wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:58 pm Steelhead I have the same scenario with a new hand held Duramax torch on my old 1000. Can you share details on how you attached to the board to incorporate the trigger relay? Or what post you found? Hoping my new torch and lead will solve my no start problems.
So you have the new torch working if you manually pull the hand trigger and are just needing to get it so your cnc controller can fire the torch?
shansen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shansen »

That’s correct. After resistance testing on my powermax 1000 I was told I needed a new torch gun and lead so I have the upgraded parts but not sure how to connect them into the old 1000 chassis like the old torch lead was spliced in. Hoping you had some hints for the Duramax torch upgrade so I can get my plasma cam up and going again.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

shansen wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:47 pm That’s correct. After resistance testing on my powermax 1000 I was told I needed a new torch gun and lead so I have the upgraded parts but not sure how to connect them into the old 1000 chassis like the old torch lead was spliced in. Hoping you had some hints for the Duramax torch upgrade so I can get my plasma cam up and going again.
I am not sure of the exact wire colors to tap into however if you open your new hand torch up you will see 2 wires connected to your torch trigger switch. Note these wire colors and then locate them where they exit the torch lead and go into the power source. These are the 2 wires you need to tap into and have your relay close the connection.
shansen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by shansen »

Thanks for all your help! Got it all wired up last night and appears to be working correctly. Note the wiring harness is the same from the old torch to the new Duramax. Just splice into the purple wire at the harness to intercept the trigger relay.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Awesome, glad you got it working and thanks for posting back with the wire colors. Could help someone else in the future :Like :Like

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”