Powermax 1000 ignition problems from plasma tip

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
darlink
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 1000 ignition problems from plasma tip

Post by darlink »

i have a hypertherm 1000 g 3 ,fine cut consumables about ten years old,plasmacam dhc machine .problem : when cutting a picture the torch may or may not light. i thought first grounding issues but i havent changed anything there, when i do my start up i turn the plasma control knob back and forth to purge the air in torch just a habit. when i go from zero to amperage on the control sometimes the plasma cutter skips the air flow so i thought maybe there is a " starter" issue going on. also dirty consumables was another thought. ive cleaned them and retsart a picture and it would last a few pierces and then i get the same problem. when its doing it on every pierce i can time my tap on the consumables with a wooden lathe and it will light every time if it stalls and i push the stop button, tap on the torch end, it will restart as if nothing wrong. any suggestions would be great.
sorry so long winded. scott
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: ignition from plasma tip

Post by jimcolt »

Just a few comments:
- Air will flow at the torch on the Powermax1000 when the amperage knob is fully counter-clockwise.
- You don't mention changing any of the consumables. The electrode has to slide freely inside the swirl ring (refer to manual for proper identification of these consumable parts).If the electrode is worn, the swirl ring is worn or the nozzle is worn....you can and will get misfiring. Refer to the section of your operators manual regarding "consumables inspection".
-Be sure the retaining cap is not overtightened, this can impede the electrode from sliding freely inside the torch....and may explain why "tapping" on the torch makes it fire sometimes.
- Be sure the inside of the torch is spotlessly clean.
- Be sure all of the consumable parts are genuine Hypertherm parts and are in good condition. Aftermarket parts cost less, don't last as long and are not reliable.
- Your plasma has diagnostic LED's, what are they doing when the misfire occurs?

Jim Colt Hypertherm
darlink
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: ignition from plasma tip

Post by darlink »

Thanks Jim I will look into everything you suggested. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Scott

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”