ARC TRANSFER PROBLEM ON 45xp machine torch

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
grizz1972
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

ARC TRANSFER PROBLEM ON 45xp machine torch

Post by grizz1972 »

A couple of weeks ago i installed a brand new 45xp and new duramax torch on my table replacing my old 45 and old torch. The first problem i had was the torch would raise off the plate for no reason. I did some test cuts with it with the THC off and it worked like it should. Then i turned on the THC and it cut perfectly. well that didnt last long.
The problem im having now, is it will not transfer the arc to the plate and if it does it will cut for a little bit then loose the arc causing the table to shut down. the problem is alot worse if i use the fine cut consumables in the torch. I can have the torch right on the plate and it still will not transfer
the arc.
What i have tried so far.

1. installed the hand torch from my old machine on the 45xp and it cuts fine and does not loose the arc.

2 installed the old machine torch onto the 45xp and just held onto it like a hand torch and again no problems.

3 Installed my old 45 connected to the new Duramax torch and the arc will not transfer at all with the fine cut consumables. with the regular consumables it will transfer but still stops when it loses the arc transfer signal.

The ground clamp was never moved from when i tried the hand torch or the old machine torch so i know the ground is good.

With what i am seeing hear, I am leaning towards a problem with the new Duramax torch,

So Jim do you have any Ideas.

I also tried a new set of fine cut consumables with the same problems. but the other set didnt complete a full job so there wasnt anything wrong with them anyway.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: ARC TRANSFER PROBLEM ON 45xp machine torch

Post by acourtjester »

Jim is a excellent source but he has also told others to call tech support directly with problems, you may get a quicker reply.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
grizz1972
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by grizz1972 »

Yes I know. im at my real job today don't want call in unless im buy it.
grizz1972
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by grizz1972 »

Ok I called out to hypertherm and they were great to deal with. They sent out a new torch overnight so i got it yesterday and installed it tonight, cut several projects and it worked flawlessly and my arc voltage locked right on to the set point voltage and didnt fluctuate like it had been doing with the other torch. So Thanks to the guys at Hypertherm and the great customer service. And thanks to the tech support at Dynatorch for giving me some good ideas to trouble shoot this too. When you get customer support like that from both companies you really know you made the right choice when you purchased there products.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

sorry I have been a little slow responding recently.....my elderly Mom is having some health issues that take precedence! Sounds like you have this under control. Jim Colt

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”