Max Thickness Possible PM85

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
ME Newb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Max Thickness Possible PM85

Post by ME Newb »

I searched and couldn't find an answer but I did find this thread that's for a 65: http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... mum#p93130

What's the max I can do and have a decent edge with a Powermax 85 in mild steel and what should my settings be? I know the book says 1-1/4" for production. There's some 1-5/8" plate for sale pretty cheap near me that I could use for a project. If it can do it, what would the settings be? Thank you
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Max Thickness Possible PM85

Post by rdj357 »

Considering the duty cycle (varies from 40-60% depending on your input voltage) and the cut speed that will be south of 7 ipm, I'd pass unless the cut inches you need are pretty low.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

As you cut thicker the arc is obviously longer....and when the arc length is longer the arc voltage is higher. The duty cycle rating of a Powermax85 is at its production thickness rating......which is 3/4" steel, calculated and tested under 104 degrees ambient air temperature conditions. So....as you cut thicker more load is placed on the power supply, more internal heat is generated and the duty cycle decreases. Bottom line.....I am quite sure that you could edge start and sever 1-5/8" steel at a very low speed (maybe 3 to 5 inches per minute). Duty cycle would be quite low and the power supply would likely stop cutting periodically (maybe every 3 to 4 inches of cut) leaving the fans on to cool the electronics.

An occasional severance cut of materials thicker than the unit is rated for is acceptable. Doing it often would likely cause eventual internal failures of the main power components. For customers that need to cut 1" or more on a production basis we (Hypertherm) would recommend a 400 Amp, 100% duty cycle plasma cutter, which is a lot more cutting power than your get with a Powermax85!

Another good option is to install an Oxy-fuel torch on your CNC machine if you need to cut steel outside of the suggested capability of the Powermax unit. Jim Colt Hypertherm
ME Newb
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ME Newb »

jimcolt wrote:Duty cycle would be quite low and the power supply would likely stop cutting periodically (maybe every 3 to 4 inches of cut) leaving the fans on to cool the electronics
Dang so it'd only run for a minute or so?? That seems awful quick to overheat

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”