45XP or Dynatorch problem?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
grizz1972
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

45XP or Dynatorch problem?

Post by grizz1972 »

Just installed a 45xp on my Dynatorch super B table with the duralock machine torch. I was running a powermax 45. The problem that i am having is the cut settings recommend a arc voltage of 123, the actual voltage seems to be low causing the torch to raise off the plate. I have checked the voltage divider and it is set at 50 to 1 as is the THC on the table. the powermax 45 that i replaced was set the same way and the arc voltage seemed to be close when set to the suggested settings. any ideas would be appreciated.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 45XP or Dynatorch problem?

Post by jimcolt »

Do a test:

Put height control in manual mode. Get a piece of material and set the cut speed at the book spec (for the thickness, the consumables and amperage you are running). Install a new nozzle and electrode in the torch. Set the torch at a fixed height using a thickness gauge. Do a 3 or 4 inch long cut.....during the cut look at the voltage readout. If everything is calibrated correctly, and the speed and amperage and cut height is right the voltage should read within a volt or two of the voltage listed in the cut chart. If it reads 10 voltage low or high...then there is some sort of calibration issue or voltage drop somewhere in the height control feedback circuit. If 10 volts low....you can run by setting the preset arc voltage 10 volts higher than the book setting, and the torch will likely run at the correct cut height. Bottom line is the physical height is important for best cut performance...the arc voltage is simply the feedback mechanism to control height. Height matters, voltage setting to get that height does not. Jim Colt Hypertherm
grizz1972
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by grizz1972 »

Thanks Jim. I ran the tests like you said, during the tests the voltage feed back was running within a volt of what it should have been.
So i ran some cuts on different thickness material and everything ran good and the cut quality was excellent on the thicker material and ok on some 16ga i cut. im waiting on some pieces so i can run the fine cut consumables so hopefully that takes care of the cuts on the thin stuff. So i dont know what was causing the original problem but its ok now.
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Keep in mind that every parameter has an effect on the voltage / height relationship. Lower speed means you have to increase voltage in order to maintain correct height. Worn consumables require an increase in voltage to maintain correct height. Changes in cut air pressure affect voltage/ height, water or oil in the air system will affect voltage/ height. If you see the torch dive into the material....often that is a poor work cable (some call it ground) connection, if the torch rises off the table too high....it often is related to a poor connection in the THC voltage feedback wiring. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”