Hypertherm pm45 xp flashing torch light will not fire

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Bollinger660
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Hypertherm pm45 xp flashing torch light will not fire

Post by Bollinger660 »

Just purchased this power max 45xp . I have about 1-2 hours on it total after purchasing it from wight cnc with my table. lastnight after about 1/2 hour into cutting some 18 guage the machine torch just stops firing mid way through the piece. thought is was a fluke so stopped and reset everything. did it again after about 10 min of cutting. the torch goEs to strike or pierce and nothing. the orange light on the front comes on and blinks slowly. owners manual say its a tso torch stuck open. anyone ever experience this? what is the fix? i may try new consumables tonight but i had them apart and looked fine. any help would be awesome i am lost.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm pm45 xp flashing torch light will not fire

Post by jimcolt »

It also could be inlet air starvation. I suggest installing a pressure gauge at the inlet (hard plumbed) and ensure the inlet pressure is not dropping due to restriction in your plumbing system. If not air....then feel free to contact Hypertherm technical service. technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 Jim Colt Hypertherm
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

One easy way to tell is press the air purge button,(set up to purge) and watch the # that comes up on the screen. Something like 66/67 psi. does that # hold or start dropping.. If it drops, go to the main regulator, and turn up the pressure until # are stable.(within reason/specs)
Bollinger660
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Bollinger660 »

thanks guys . Talked to customer service on friday saying try a sticking electrode in the swirl ring. I have been gone all weekend. When i get home sunday evening i am going to try the info the gave me. keeping my fingers crossed this takes care of it. I'll keep you posted.
TangoFox
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TangoFox »

Hi there, how did you solve this problem??
My machine is doing same as you described, it's brand new with only a couple hours of work.
Thanks much!!
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

You could disassemble your consumables (cap, shield, nozzle, electrode, and swirl ring) and clean out any debris or other contamination that may be preventing your electrode from sliding smoothly inside the swirl ring.
David

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”