Hypertherm 45 to a 45XP

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Hypertherm 45 to a 45XP

Post by exapprentice »

Hi everyone

Just a quick request / comment

I have this year changed from the original PM45 to the new PM45XP, I have noticed a couple of things that stand out and I am asking for comments from others who have also changed to the new XP machine just to get a feel if it is just my set up or is it a more common experience :?:

I have noticed that the cooling fan within the XP machine comes on quicker and more frequently than the older 45 I do not see this as a negative but just concerned that it is different than what I know (so far)in comparison.

I am also seeing a difference in the voltage settings of around 10v higher from the PM45 to the 45XP to maintain the correct cut heights, I have the XP voltage divider ratio set at 50:1 (factory preset voltage divider)as was my original PM45 :?

So if you have made this change from PM45 to PM45XP as well then please add you comments or additions and maybe Mr Colt would like to comment and confirm any of the above just to help clarify and put our minds at rest

Apart from the above concerns the new XP is great and I am glad I invested the £ to make the change to have the RS 485 connection to work with the CandCNC kit

One more request but for SheetCam users, I have tried to edit the "PLASMA TOOL" where it states "Tip size - amps" but it always seems to defaults back to 45 has anyone else noticed this :oops:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Hypertherm 45 to a 45XP

Post by jimcolt »

exapprentice wrote:Hi everyone

Just a quick request / comment

I have this year changed from the original PM45 to the new PM45XP, I have noticed a couple of things that stand out and I am asking for comments from others who have also changed to the new XP machine just to get a feel if it is just my set up or is it a more common experience :?:

I have noticed that the cooling fan within the XP machine comes on quicker and more frequently than the older 45 I do not see this as a negative but just concerned that it is different than what I know (so far)in comparison. The 45 XP produces a higher wattage output than the original Powermax45, this is why it has a thicker capacity and some higher cut speeds, higher wattage will produce more heat in the power supply, so the fan is needed more often. It is normal for the fan to run more as compared to the 45.

I am also seeing a difference in the voltage settings of around 10v higher from the PM45 to the 45XP to maintain the correct cut heights, I have the XP voltage divider ratio set at 50:1 (factory preset voltage divider)as was my original PM45 :? The Duramax torch is used with the Powermax45XP. It is designed to handle higher load voltages and the consumable design is quite different as compared to the original torch used with the Powermax45. The XP when at the same physical torch to work distance will show a higher arc voltage reading than the 45 will.

So if you have made this change from PM45 to PM45XP as well then please add you comments or additions and maybe Mr Colt would like to comment and confirm any of the above just to help clarify and put our minds at rest

Apart from the above concerns the new XP is great and I am glad I invested the £ to make the change to have the RS 485 connection to work with the CandCNC kit

One more request but for SheetCam users, I have tried to edit the "PLASMA TOOL" where it states "Tip size - amps" but it always seems to defaults back to 45 has anyone else noticed this :oops:
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

To Mr Colt

As always regarding Hypertherm products and support, Jim you are a star, couldn't ask for any more than a simple straight forward response 8-)

Thanks again for all you do in answering questions and advising not just here but throughout the web :D
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Was wondering how you were getting on Pete, glad to see you are getting stuck in again.
Funnily enough I just took delivery of the 45XP today, might be a few days before I get to make the switch.
Can I also ask Jim a question which just came to me today while cutting some 2mm on the old 45 using 30a parts, is the old 45 torch with the 30a parts compatible with the 45XP?
I might be tempted to keep that torch for the extra fine/slow speed cuts.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I believe there is an error in the post for that setting. Two of the values are swapped. At least that is what I ran into.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”