HT 60 AMP tips not working

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

HT 60 AMP tips not working

Post by jeeplogic83 »

I bought a package of 60 amp tips and they don't seen to hold up as compared to the 40amp fine tips. I bought them do do a job on some 3/16 and 1/4 inch plate. I had my amps set at about 55 Can't remember the voltage but the stand off was good and seemed to cut well at first. Then all of sudden the hole blew out of the tip and my cuts went to $#%&@. when I inspected the tip it had a center and a side ways blow out (like a tadpole) I went through all 5 tips in a matter of 1 hour all with the same defect. I switched back to the 40amp fine tips at the same settings and was able to finish 2 full sheets of 3/16 with one fine amp tip at 55 amps. My lines are clean and dry and did not do anything different when I switched to the fine tips. does any one else have this problem or a possible explanation.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HT 60 AMP tips not working

Post by jimcolt »

Can you post a picture or two of the damaged nozzle and electrode, and give me some details of how you were using them? The 60 Amp consumables should last 2 to 3 times longer than the Fine Cut consumables....especially if you were using the FineCuts at 55 amps.

There has to be a valid explanation....perhaps an air flow restriction (enough air for Fine cuts but not enough for the larger oifice on the 60 amps parts). Can you double check the part numbers? Make sure you had the correct swirl ring in the torch? (if you use the swirl ring designed for hand cutting with Finecut....with the 60 Amp consumables.....this could occur).

Were the 60 amp consumables shielded consumables? Did you have the correct shield (120930) on the torch?

Best regards, Jim Hypertherm

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”