PowerMax30 Voltage terminals connected to PROMA THC

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
asaf775
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PowerMax30 Voltage terminals connected to PROMA THC

Post by asaf775 »

Dear all friends,

i have hyperterm powermax30
to connect THC (Proma SD) i need to connect the voltage terminals from the plasma somehow. in the powermax30 there is no "easy" connections

so here i need your help.

1. from where should i take the terminals?
2. what voltage i suppose to see between terminals? (+ and -)
if i understand correctly from the single line (attached files) the (+) terminal is J22, but i am not sure for the (-) and from where to take it.

3. how should i connect my Z axis to the THC SD to my board? in my board the PUL(+) and DIR(+) are shorten to 5V and in the Proma THC the STEP (-), DIR(-) are shorten to GND.

i attached pictures from the plasma, THC SD and SainSmart controller board

thanks a lot guys

best regards

ASAF
Attachments
powermax30 pic1.jpg
powermax30 pic1.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Powermax30 one line diagram.pdf
(58.43 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
powermax30 pic2.jpg
powermax30 pic3.jpg
powermax30 pic3.jpg (75.59 KiB) Viewed 426 times
powermax30 pic4.jpg
powermax30 pic4.jpg (66.53 KiB) Viewed 426 times
powermax30 pic5.jpg
powermax30 pic6.jpg
powermax30 pic6.jpg (73.73 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Proma THC SD pic1.jpg
Proma THC SD pic2.jpg
SainSmart CNC board one line connections.jpg
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PowerMax30 Voltage terminals connected to PROMA THC

Post by acourtjester »

I assume this is a DIY table and you are the builder, If you bought the table from a vendor they should be able to help you out.
Attached is an image of where the Proma connections are made you would replace the wires going from the USB to the Z driver. With new connections going from the USB Z outputs to the Proma and then from the Proma to the Z driver. Now in the image you attached the ground from the USB to the Proma and the driver are not power ground but signal common do not connect the 2 anywhere. There is a difference between the Proma and USB board as the USB uses +5 as common and the Proma uses step + and dir + this may be a problem and may no work :( :(
Some one will need to instruct you in how to hook up the Powermax 30, you will need connections from the raw voltage and wiring to trigger the plasma on/off.
Attachments
connection.jpg
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

1. from where should i take the terminals? Follow the Electrode lead on the wiring diagram to its attachment inside the power supply, it connects to terminal J17, this is the negative connection. The work lead attaches to J22, this is the positive connection.
2. what voltage i suppose to see between terminals? (+ and -)When the torch is off....you will see zero volts. When the torch is cutting you will see between 65 and 170 volts depending on the thickness of the material being cut and the torch to work standoff. A longer arc produces higher arc voltage.This voltage can be as high as 240 volts DC in the event of worn or failed consumables in the torch.
if i understand correctly from the single line (attached files) the (+) terminal is J22, but i am not sure for the (-) and from where to take it.

3. how should i connect my Z axis to the THC SD to my board? in my board the PUL(+) and DIR(+) are shorten to 5V and in the Proma THC the STEP (-), DIR(-) are shorten to GND.
asaf775
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by asaf775 »

GUYS THANKS A LOT
The TCH not working yet maybe because the common 5v and common GND

i am still trying to do something

thanks again

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”