45xp raw arc voltage

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
crbattery
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

45xp raw arc voltage

Post by crbattery »

I am attaching my 45xp to an Accumove 3 controller. The Hypertherm technical service bulletin says to use non shielded wire. I am wondering if it is ok to use shielded wire?

Thank you
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: 45xp raw arc voltage

Post by tcaudle »

You using Raw Ard Volts? The Hypertherm manual probably assumes you have a local divider card at the plasma and are not running raw volts any distance. The breakdown voltage of the wire has to be over 300V or it could arc to the shield. Most shielded wire is low voltage wire so I would stick with the Hypertherm recommendations
crbattery
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by crbattery »

Yes, sorry for not stating I am hooking up the raw arc voltage wires. So as long as it's unshielded and rated for 300vokts or more I will be good to go?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Attached is a document that will provide advice to connect to the raw arc voltage terminals in a Powermax45 XP. The maximum open circuit voltage is 300 VDC, so be sure to use wiring that is safe at this level. Shielding is normally recommended for divided output voltage wiring which is used by all of the more modern plasma cnc / height control manufacturers. For some reason Torchmate continues to use the raw arc voltage....which can be dangerous and if shorted to other connections will cause system damage.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
crbattery
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by crbattery »

Thank you Jim Colt. I do not see any attachments looking at this from my phone. I am thinking the attachment is probably the Hypertherm technical service bulletin for connecting raw arc voltage on 45xp which I have that bulletin downloaded printed and stapled together in the garage.

In that service bulletin it mentions a raw arc voltage install kit. I emailed Hypertherm last night with a request to purchase that kit. Sorry I don't have any numbers on hand for this at the moment
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

Sorry, this site would not allow me to attach the document based on its size. Don't order the kit...it is simply a few hardware parts and the document that you seem to have. Use a 300 volt (plus) rated wire and make the connections and routing as suggested in the document and you will be fine. Jim Colt
crbattery
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by crbattery »

Thank you Jim. My girlfriend works for a wire harness manufacturer. The owner of the company hooked me up with the actual wire Hypertherm recommends using. Olflex 190. I ordered the correct heyco wire strain relief from Mouser electronics last night so just waiting on that and I have all my parts. I went with the $30 next day shipping because I want to get this table up and running this weekend and I got the wire for free. Anyways thank you for your input Jim
corylare
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by corylare »

I have the same issue with Baileigh. where can I find the document
crbattery
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by crbattery »

corylare wrote:I have the same issue with Baileigh. where can I find the document
I woukd contact Jim colt. I sold my machine that this was in question about so I no longer have that documentation anymore
crbattery
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by crbattery »

corylare wrote:I have the same issue with Baileigh. where can I find the document
I woukd contact Jim colt. I sold my machine that this was in question about so I no longer have that documentation anymore
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

crbattery
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by crbattery »

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”