Voltage divider

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Voltage divider

Post by Metriccar »

I have a powermax65. The voltage divider is set default at 50. What is this fir and how do I know the correct setting?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Voltage divider

Post by jimcolt »

The CPC port / voltage divider is optional on Powermax65, 85 and 105 systems. You know you have it if there is a circular plastic electrical connector on the rear panel of the Powermax. This receptacle is the interface connector for use on mechanized cutting applications, when used with the machine torch. It has two pins for the plasma start input (will not function with a hand torch for safety reasons), two pins for an arc transferred output (used to start machine motion) and two pins for divided arc voltage output (used for feedback for arc voltage based torch height control).

The voltage divider produces an analog DC voltage that increases with a longer arc and decreases with a shorter arc. It has 5 settable ratios (20:1 , 21.1:1 , 30:1 , 40:1 , and 50:1 ) that allow you to match up the output voltage level to many commercially available height control systems on the market. Hypertherm height controls use the 50:1 ratio, so that is the default setting. If you have a PlasmaCam table...it uses the 21.1:1 setting. The ratio is changed by pulling the cover off the Powermax and setting a small series of switches per instructions in the operators manual.

If you have no height control system....then the voltage divider output is not being used. The setting has no effect on cutting if there is not a height control system on your cnc machine, or if you are cutting by hand. If you have a Powermax that does not have the CPC / Voltage divider, it can be ordered in a field installable kit form from any Hypertherm dealer.

Jim Colt

Metriccar wrote:I have a powermax65. The voltage divider is set default at 50. What is this fir and how do I know the correct setting?
caschatzle
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by caschatzle »

This is an old post but hoping to get Jim Colt's attention, lol.
I am not getting a voltage feedback from my Powermax 85.
Hypertherm serviced and replaced the power board, and still no feedback.
Could it be this voltage divider board or something in the torch itself?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

This may sound silly but how do you KNOW you are not getting divided voltage out of the Hypertherm? Have you checked at the specific pins on the CPC connector (5 & 6 ) and fired the torch by shorting pin 3 to 4?
When you say "his divider board" are you referring to some external divider board outside the unit?
caschatzle
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by caschatzle »

Yes, I am getting 0.20 Volts DC at the pins in the CPC port. I replaced the external PWM module. I'm thinking the internal one is fried also.
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The PWM module just "scales " the divided votage to give it a 0-5V range. It has to have the 50:1 voltage out of the plasma (about 3.2 volts when the torch is fired in the air on a Hypertherm power max.
So if the internal 20:1 PRIMARY divided on the main board of the Hypertherm was fixed then it leaves the Secondary divider card (with the dip switches)
Thats not too expensive.
Al alternative to out of warranty hypertherm units is to buy our RAV-02 Voltage divider Card and take the voltage off the Raw arc volts. I know this will raise the question if the RAV-02 is a 50:1 divider or can be used with any THC so the answer is no. Its not a standard ratio (7:1) that hearkens back to our earliest THC in 2004 before units had internal dividers. The PWM has that ratio option.
SoloTTAL
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SoloTTAL »

I have a powermax105. I have CNC plasma & THC that has internal voltage divider. I therefore need a voltage ratio of 1:1 from the powermax 105 (am aware of the 5 settings of 20:1, 21.1:1 , 30:1, 40:1 & 50:1). HOW TO I ACHIEVE a 1:1 ratio ratio from the powermax 105 voltage divider?
SoloTTAL
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by SoloTTAL »

jimcolt wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:45 am The CPC port / voltage divider is optional on Powermax65, 85 and 105 systems. You know you have it if there is a circular plastic electrical connector on the rear panel of the Powermax. This receptacle is the interface connector for use on mechanized cutting applications, when used with the machine torch. It has two pins for the plasma start input (will not function with a hand torch for safety reasons), two pins for an arc transferred output (used to start machine motion) and two pins for divided arc voltage output (used for feedback for arc voltage based torch height control).

The voltage divider produces an analog DC voltage that increases with a longer arc and decreases with a shorter arc. It has 5 settable ratios (20:1 , 21.1:1 , 30:1 , 40:1 , and 50:1 ) that allow you to match up the output voltage level to many commercially available height control systems on the market. Hypertherm height controls use the 50:1 ratio, so that is the default setting. If you have a PlasmaCam table...it uses the 21.1:1 setting. The ratio is changed by pulling the cover off the Powermax and setting a small series of switches per instructions in the operators manual.

If you have no height control system....then the voltage divider output is not being used. The setting has no effect on cutting if there is not a height control system on your cnc machine, or if you are cutting by hand. If you have a Powermax that does not have the CPC / Voltage divider, it can be ordered in a field installable kit form from any Hypertherm dealer.

Jim Colt

Metriccar wrote:I have a powermax65. The voltage divider is set default at 50. What is this fir and how do I know the correct setting?
Hi Jim, i need a ratio of 1:1, how do i achieve this?

Thanks,
Solomon
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

1:1 is raw voltage input search the net for your plasma cutter model with the word raw and something may come up.

eg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... -MvEdiHM74

1:1 can kill, big boy pants required, take responsibility for your actions and know the limits of your comptence
KNPV-PSD
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by KNPV-PSD »

jimcolt wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:45 am The CPC port / voltage divider is optional on Powermax65, 85 and 105 systems. You know you have it if there is a circular plastic electrical connector on the rear panel of the Powermax. This receptacle is the interface connector for use on mechanized cutting applications, when used with the machine torch. It has two pins for the plasma start input (will not function with a hand torch for safety reasons), two pins for an arc transferred output (used to start machine motion) and two pins for divided arc voltage output (used for feedback for arc voltage based torch height control).

Jim Colt

Does the voltage signal get turned off when using the hand torch?
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

no
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The voltage divider does not necessarily "get turned off" if using a hand torch (for hand held cutting), however it has no function for hand cutting. Hand cutting (with a Hypertherm torch) requires that the operator handles the torch directing the sparks and molten metal so that the torch consumables are not damaged during piercing , then once the pierce is complete the operator drags the torch, taking advantage of the drag shield to control the torch to work distance.
KNPV-PSD
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by KNPV-PSD »

Thank you both. I was not getting signal at my THC so was trying to find best way to test the output of the CPC. Called tech support and they had me check Ohms at pin 5/6. Anything other then 2-2.3 is abnormal. Mine was 3.8, turns out I’d installed one plug of the harness upside down….LOL. Turned it around and all is well.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”