Powermax 45 arc voltage

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Masons Forge
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Powermax 45 arc voltage

Post by Masons Forge »

I have a Powermax 45 not the XP and I’m using CandCNC controls
When I do a test cut the volts on my screen read 34volts and they should be 130 volts so my THC climbs away from the metal. I have tested everything CandCNC with their support so it looks like it is in the plasma cutter. Is there a way to test the voltage on the machine?
Thanks
Josh
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 45 arc voltage

Post by adbuch »

Was everything working properly before and this just happened? Or is this a new setup and you are trying to get it operational for the first time? If you are able to use your plasma cutter to cut by hand (manual cutting) then you plasma cutter is working fine. Check your voltage divider circuitry to make sure it is working properly and set to the correct value for your thc.

David
Masons Forge

Post by Masons Forge »

IT was working on my old table but it didn't have THC on it and I was using a hand torch with it, I'm running a machine torch now and I'm putting it on my new rebuilt table with CandCNC controls now. It will cut if I turn the THC off, but the voltage reading on the cut screen is 35 when it needs to be 130. Is there a way to check the divider circuitry?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

First lets find out if your Powermax 45 is outputting RAW or divided arc voltage, you may or may not know.

Does your Powermax 45 have the CPC port on the back of it? See picture
pm45.PNG
pm45.PNG (39.88 KiB) Viewed 569 times
Masons Forge

Post by Masons Forge »

it is divided voltage 50:1 and I'm using the MIC-01 cable from CandCNC and the PWM module tests out right
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ok great. You can check the arc voltage output from the PM45 at pins 5 and 6 shown above. Voltage will vary between 0-7 volts depending on the length of arc at the time that your measuring voltage.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Sounds like a calibration error to me.
130 volts sounds about right when cutting.
I would check any calibration/scaling settings in candcnc
But also check that your divider board in the plasma is set to the division setting candcnc expects.
But I also think candcnc uses rs485 comms to talk back to the PC so it could be a fault area too.
TJS
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by TJS »

Not sure on you I/O REv number, but for the FT01 to work you need to power up the FT01 PWR for the probe to work. It should have come with a power pack that looks like a laptop charger. Refer to the FT-01 manual for this before taking my word for it. Same thing happened to me when I first got my set up cause I was not powering it up with the 12 volts. It comes with a 12V wall plug.
T.J.
Masons Forge

Post by Masons Forge »

It looks like the problem is inside my plasma cutter. I have power to everything and it will still only read 30volts when it is cutting and the THC is off. It is time to upgrade my cutter anyway. Thank you everyone.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”