hypertherm voltage divider board

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

hypertherm voltage divider board

Post by robertspark »

I was wondering if someone had access to a hypertherm voltage divider board or a hypertherm 45xp, 65, 85 what they could take a look for me please?

I am trying to figure out what the primary voltage divider resistors are within the hypertherm powermax plasma cutters

All I need is someone to kindly just list the numbers on the resistors highlighed below, thanks,
2020-07-19 10_50_47-hypertherm voltage divider.png
they have an internal 20:1 voltage divider circuit and then this board allows you to adjust that divided voltage from 20:1 to 21.1:1 30:1 40:1 and 50:1

the 45 non XP has a 100K and 2K voltage divider which provides a 50:1 ratio (kindly shown on the service manual schematic)

I have some information that the primary resistor is 50K and the 20:1 divider is 2K5..... which is a bit of an odd resistor value, hence if some kind person could tell me the numbers of the components shown on the attached image that would help tremendously.

Thanks,

(it'll save the £150 to buy the board I'm not going to use which is option B
part no: 228697)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: hypertherm voltage divider board

Post by acourtjester »

I really had to skint to see these, here they are from my PM65
Snap_9.jpg
Snap_9.jpg (17.63 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
Snap_8.jpg
Snap_8.jpg (17.78 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
Snap_7.jpg
Snap_7.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
Snap_6.jpg
Snap_6.jpg (19.03 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:30 pm I really had to skint to see these, here they are from my PM65
Snap_9.jpg
Snap_8.jpg
Snap_7.jpg
Snap_6.jpg
thanks so very very much, I owe you much more than a beer!

8452 = 84k5
1002 = 10k
4491 = 4.99k
3321 = 3k32

it seems that the primary resistance is closer to 100k and 5k before the board (and not 50k and 1k as per 45xp given in the price manual for the 45xp 50:1 output)

thanks again just what I needed
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Happy to help, took me a few minutes to finger how to use the microscope camera :HaHa :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Scarbro4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Scarbro4 »

Hello,
I am new to the plasmacam world. I just purchased the 5x10 plasmacam table and attempting to install a hypertherm xp 45 to the table.
I am using the hand torch not a machine torch. The Hypertherm user manual advises under the machine torch section to change the factory 5-position voltage divider from the factory setting of 50:1 to the plasmacam setting of 21:1:1.
If I am using the hand torch do I still need to change the voltage divider from 50:1 to 21:1:1 or do I leave it at the factory 50:1 for hand torch use?
Thank you,
Glenn Scarbrough FWFD
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

you will need to change the voltage divider regardless of a hand torch or machine torch if you are intending to interface it with a plasmacam.... if the plasmacam expects to see 21.1:1
Scarbro4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Scarbro4 »

Thank you,
I will make the change.
Hopefully in a few days I will be up and running or crawling. LOL
Glenn Scarbrough FWFD
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Scarbro4 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:38 am Hello,
I am new to the plasmacam world. I just purchased the 5x10 plasmacam table and attempting to install a hypertherm xp 45 to the table.
I am using the hand torch not a machine torch. The Hypertherm user manual advises under the machine torch section to change the factory 5-position voltage divider from the factory setting of 50:1 to the plasmacam setting of 21:1:1.
If I am using the hand torch do I still need to change the voltage divider from 50:1 to 21:1:1 or do I leave it at the factory 50:1 for hand torch use?
Thank you,
Glenn Scarbrough FWFD
Hi Glenn,

The CPC port with voltage divider is only for machine torch, not the hand torch. So you will not need to change the voltage divider, because it is not used for the hand torch. What you will need to do is buy and install the Plasmacam torch control wiring kit as described below. The torch control cable included with this kit contains the proper voltage divider as part of the cable. You will need to follow the installation instructions as described in Chapter 4 of the Video Manual. This involved removing the cover from your 45xp and cutting/splicing the torch trigger wire as well as connecting the red and black wires which monitor the raw arc voltage used for the torch height control. A replacement Video Manual is available from Plasmacam for $10 plus shipping.

If you have not already done so, you will want to file the change of ownership form for you table with Plasmacam so you can become registered and purchase replacement parts as well as join the Plasmacam Owner's Community Online Forum. You can phone Plasmacam tech support for a copy of this form.

David

torch control wiring kit

Install a torch control cord in a plasma cutter you want to use with the machine. Kit includes cord, test/manual cutting jumper, strain relief, and various connectors for wiring to most any cutter. Buy an additional cord for an additional cutter, if you lost the original jumper, or replace if damaged or burned out (no longer reports arc voltage or triggers cutting). Carefully follow testing instructions in manual prior to use. Warning: cord includes special low-EMI cabling and internal resistors. Do not try to make your own cord or alter ours by cutting it apart, or you will likely endanger yourself and damage your controller!
Part #: D-203
Price: $59
john78
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by john78 »

FYI, the voltage divider board is not the whole circuit. If you look at the diagram for any of the models that come with that board the main part of the divider circuit is on the power board. Voltage that comes off the power board is 20:1. PCB4/voltage divider board adds resistors via the switches to get the other divided voltages.
4x4 Plasma Table
Mach3 with CSMIO/IP-S
CandCNC Feather Touch & LCTHC
Hypertherm PMX 1000
Homemade Rotary Plasma Attachment
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the information. In the OP's case, he is using a hand torch, so the CPC port is not applicable. It is only for machine torch.
David
john78
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by john78 »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:12 pm Thanks for the information. In the OP's case, he is using a hand torch, so the CPC port is not applicable. It is only for machine torch.
David
I don't think the original poster mentioned anything about a hand torch. Just asked about the divider resistors.
I measured the resistance of the power board resistors on an old 45 XP power board. They are 20k and 5k
4x4 Plasma Table
Mach3 with CSMIO/IP-S
CandCNC Feather Touch & LCTHC
Hypertherm PMX 1000
Homemade Rotary Plasma Attachment
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

john78 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:01 pm
adbuch wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:12 pm Thanks for the information. In the OP's case, he is using a hand torch, so the CPC port is not applicable. It is only for machine torch.
David
I don't think the original poster mentioned anything about a hand torch. Just asked about the divider resistors.
I measured the resistance of the power board resistors on an old 45 XP power board. They are 20k and 5k
Hello,
Thank you,
Glenn Scarbrough FWFD

The original post was about 5 months ago and you are correct - no mention of hand torch. The most recent question is shown above. In this case, I should probably refer to him as OP#2.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

scarbro4 isn't the OP David, he's another member looking for assistance in the this topic also. Maybe we should have this thread split, kinda 2 different issues.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I am the OP... the original OP, wow this thread is confusing...

the type of torch has no effect on the resistance....

it may however require a link to be installed if you are using a hand torch on a CNC machine.

there are other posts on that, it's not recommended by hypertherm but Im sure you have you big boy pants on.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:24 pm scarbro4 isn't the OP David, he's another member looking for assistance in the this topic also. Maybe we should have this thread split, kinda 2 different issues.
I understand that. As I said, I should have referred to him as OP #2. In any case, the original thread started about 6 months ago and I believe was answered to the original posters satisfaction. I was responding to the most recent question. Yes - perhaps it should have been a new thread. The main thing here is that the cpc port does not apply to the hand torch, only the machine torch.
David
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

adbuch wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:19 pm The main thing here is that the cpc port does not apply to the hand torch, only the machine torch.
David
that is not true if you are using a hand torch for CNC.... which you can do and many do do (although it is not recommended by hypertherm)

the CPC (circular plastic connector) is the machine interface port.

it provides a
- divided voltage output
- the torch fire circuit (dry contact / volt free contact closure)
- the arcOk or arc transfer signal (via internal contact closure)
and a common earth / ground / cable shielding connection.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The following applies to cnc operation with the Plasmacam table/controller.

For Plasmacam with Hypertherm machine torch/cpc port, the proper torch control cable (Plug & Play) is available from Jim Colt (PJ Metal Fab)

http://www.pjmetalfab.com/plasma-cam-ac ... play-cable

or Robert Johnson

https://fourninety-creations.myshopify. ... Kns5DTywNU

For Plasmacam with Hypertherm hand torch the proper torch control cable is available from Plasmacam.

https://owners-community.com/order_parts.php?sid=

torch control wiring kit
Part #: D-203
Price: $59

Obviously those with diy tables/controllers could "cut & splice" or "pin-swap" to rig up a hand torch to interface to the cpc port. For the Plasmacam there is no need to do this as the proper torch control cable is available at a very reasonable cost.

David
lingle227
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by lingle227 »

robertspark wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:00 pm
acourtjester wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:30 pm I really had to skint to see these, here they are from my PM65
Snap_9.jpg
Snap_8.jpg
Snap_7.jpg
Snap_6.jpg
thanks so very very much, I owe you much more than a beer!

8452 = 84k5
1002 = 10k
4491 = 4.99k
3321 = 3k32

it seems that the primary resistance is closer to 100k and 5k before the board (and not 50k and 1k as per 45xp given in the price manual for the 45xp 50:1 output)

thanks again just what I needed
Did you ever get this working? I'm a little hazy but if I'm getting this right I just need to add a 3.32k resistor inline to make the voltage divider 50:1. Did you add line chokes like on the PCB? Do you have a schematic / part numbers you used if you used inductors?
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

no, you need 2x resistors, this was a very specific discussion, ignore these discussions

100k and a 2K is what you need.

your 100k should be rated at more than 1.5Watt

or you could use 5x 20k 1/4 watt resistors in series
Weldgeorge
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Weldgeorge »

Just trying to do the same job to my hypertherm 45xp to get 50:1 for my arcdroid cutter when ur saying use 100k and 2k resistors is this after the 20:1 on the main board or connecting to the raw voltage on the board any pics? thanks George
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

connecting across the raw voltage NOT the dividend 20:1 voltage.

if you have a 20:1 divided voltage you may have a voltage divider board inside the hypertherm that allows for the divided voltage ratio to be changed by simple dip switches .... READ the manuals on the hypertherm FIRST.

if you cannot be bothered to read the manual and you turn the plasma cutter off and open the case too quickly it has the potential to kill you because the capacitors are likely to still be charged. I am a big believer in the Darwin Awards.... the need to remove some from the gene pool who do daft stuff.https://darwinawards.com/

service manual
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... SciSgxbc86

operator manual
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... osdnXId8Jd

or check the hypertherm website they are available free and may be newer revisions!!!
Weldgeorge
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Weldgeorge »

Thanks for the reply just bought the board and cpc kit to plug into the 20:1 j17 plug £127 from my local hypertherm dealer my 45xp didn’t come with cpc or board already spliced into use hand torch thought for the money was better safe than sorry

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”