Powermax 45xp won't turn on

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
Jhonscooterplus
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Powermax 45xp won't turn on

Post by Jhonscooterplus »

hello everyone, been using powermax45xp for 8 months now with a 5x10 Fabricate America table. Today, it just decided not to turn on. Opened the machine to check if it was a switch or fuse problem, only to find out it was the fan. when I remove the fan socket (4 wires), the machine turns on. when I place it back, and turn on the switch, it just makes a ticking sound. as if the fan is sending an error code to the board preventing it from turning on. i wonder if anyone had encountered this kind of problem.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powermax 45xp won't turn on

Post by weldguy »

I have never experienced that however I did have a fan go bad in my Powermax 65 which was causing a few issues. Turned out to be nothing more than a Coolmax brand chinese fan with the part # on it so I found one on Amazon for far less than Hypertherm charges and problem solved.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

not sure my PM65 fan does not come on until the unit heats up, maybe the 45 is different. What may be wrong is the thermal sensor is saying the unit is overheated so don't power up. I would call hypertherm tech support to ask about that or what they say could be wrong
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Can you manually spin the fan with your finger? Those little fans sometimes bind up and quit spinning. If so, it may be pulling too much current and tripping a current sensor on the board.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Jhonscooterplus
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

WyoGreen wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:00 pm Can you manually spin the fan with your finger? Those little fans sometimes bind up and quit spinning. If so, it may be pulling too much current and tripping a current sensor on the board.

Steve
yes, I can manually spin the fan. i had it replaced, turns out the fan is really busted. but after installing the new one, it cuts for a few seconds and then stops, displays the fault code "3-10-1" again. did a research on the code, it says "check the associated wiring" "if necessary, replace the fan assembly"
Jhonscooterplus
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

acourtjester wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:57 am not sure my PM65 fan does not come on until the unit heats up, maybe the 45 is different. What may be wrong is the thermal sensor is saying the unit is overheated so don't power up. I would call hypertherm tech support to ask about that or what they say could be wrong
thanks, just emailed tech support. i hope to hear from them soon
Jhonscooterplus
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

weldguy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:49 am I have never experienced that however I did have a fan go bad in my Powermax 65 which was causing a few issues. Turned out to be nothing more than a Coolmax brand chinese fan with the part # on it so I found one on Amazon for far less than Hypertherm charges and problem solved.
hi, is the coolmax brand you use to replace your old fan has the same specs? i mean are they exactly the same (e.g voltage and amps?) the replacement I got is 2 volts higher (from 48v to 50v)
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Jhonscooterplus wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:40 pm hi, is the coolmax brand you use to replace your old fan has the same specs? i mean are they exactly the same (e.g voltage and amps?) the replacement I got is 2 volts higher (from 48v to 50v)
Yes, it was the exact same fan, same brand, same part #, same specs, same decal, everything.

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”