Vertical bender using JD2 dies

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Vertical bender using JD2 dies < Really He's DEAD??!!

Post by I Lean »

Capstone wrote:Every time this thread resurfaces I just see that a member JD2 has died... can't believe I have to ask, but can the OP or admin PLEASE fix this spelling??
OK, I'll bite....how would you suggest altering the plural form of "die"? Or would you prefer "Die sets"?
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Vertical bender using JD2 dies

Post by Capstone »

LOL... I guess I read the title too fast, I was actually referring to another recent thread that was talking about Dyes, so in this context, I'm all bent; I was thinking about the other thread when I replied to this one... forget about it.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Coffinscreekcustoms
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Coffinscreekcustoms »

my auto cad 2004 wont let it open :( can some one dumb it down ?
and what is the thickest pipe,tubbing this will handle?
thanks jake cant wait 8-)
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

Coffinscreekcustoms wrote:my auto cad 2004 wont let it open :( can some one dumb it down ?
and what is the thickest pipe,tubbing this will handle?
thanks jake cant wait 8-)
Did you try the "different for Carlos" versions I posted in the 8th post? I saved them as a later version DXF, not sure if that helps or not.

I bent what amounts to 1.5" .401 tubing with it. (1.25" .281 DOM sleeved with 1.5" .120 DOM) It bent fine, but did bend the pin that goes through the follower die. I'm going to weld on some chunks of tube to the follower die, so it won't concentrate all it's force in the center of that pin.
Coffinscreekcustoms
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

i tried both of them it still didnt work. :(
thanks jake
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

it does not open in inkscape.
it opens in corel
you could do the free trial to do what you need then let it expire
but you might like it and want to buy it
the auto trace is cool along with the plug ins
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

I just opened it in Inkscape, it did open--but Inkscape sucks for dealing with CAD drawings. It opens fine in Draftsight as well, and of course Deltacad since that's where I drew it.

Here's some saved as R2000-2002 from Draftsight, they might make your Autocad happier? :?: These are a little different from the original file I posted, since all the holes are drawn at the finished size, rather than having to drill the main die pin hole to final size. I tried to upload the .dwg, but apparently that's not allowed.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

hi, these new dxf's opened in inkscape

the one I saved earlier doesn't open .

I will have to figure out why.
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

I Lean wrote:The one inch pin goes through the bushings, and goes through the center of the main die.
I'm guessing this means the tip hole in the long arms. Is then the original dxf may be flawed. The hole on the original design posted is showing as a .750 diameter. Could someone enlighten me? I'm not looking forward to opening those 4 holes up that we already have ready to go.
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

dustywill wrote: I'm guessing this means the tip hole in the long arms. Is then the original dxf may be flawed. The hole on the original design posted is showing as a .750 diameter. Could someone enlighten me? I'm not looking forward to opening those 4 holes up that we already have ready to go.
That is correct. If you look at the original post, first paragraph, I mentioned it:
Here is the vertical bender I built, designed to use JD2 Model 3 die sets. You'll notice on the drawing, the hole for the main die pin is undersized--I did that so I could drill it out to 1.25" to press bronze bushings into. All the other holes are just plasma cut.
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

I Lean wrote:
dustywill wrote: I'm guessing this means the tip hole in the long arms. Is then the original dxf may be flawed. The hole on the original design posted is showing as a .750 diameter. Could someone enlighten me? I'm not looking forward to opening those 4 holes up that we already have ready to go.
That is correct. If you look at the original post, first paragraph, I mentioned it:
Here is the vertical bender I built, designed to use JD2 Model 3 die sets. You'll notice on the drawing, the hole for the main die pin is undersized--I did that so I could drill it out to 1.25" to press bronze bushings into. All the other holes are just plasma cut.
I knew it must be a stupid question. Thanks.
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
Magic Rat
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Magic Rat »

Does anyone have a drawing with a few dimensions on. I am importing these files in corel and they seem bigger than they should. I am getting the main pin hole a lot bigger than 3/4" unless the later files in this thread show the hole size for the bushing.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Thanks very much.

Might not be able to get those dies in Australia but the plans should give me a start to use other ones.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
grzmnky
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by grzmnky »

Quick question.

On the dxf file. The piece on the lower right of the actual cutouts... where does that go? Its the one with 3 holes that match up to the piece right above it (the one for the base), but on the lower part only has an angle.
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

grzmnky wrote:Quick question.

On the dxf file. The piece on the lower right of the actual cutouts... where does that go? Its the one with 3 holes that match up to the piece right above it (the one for the base), but on the lower part only has an angle.
It's a doubler for the base plate--which I'm reasonably convinced is completely unnecessary. :mrgreen: All of them that I've cut have still included it though.
grzmnky
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by grzmnky »

I Lean wrote:
grzmnky wrote:Quick question.

It's a doubler for the base plate--which I'm reasonably convinced is completely unnecessary. :mrgreen: All of them that I've cut have still included it though.
Ah, ok. I didn't see it on any of the final build pics. I'm making mine out of 5/8" steel, so the doublers won't be necessary.

Thanks
Coffinscreekcustoms
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

sorry its been a long time but that last dxf shared worked in my autocad 2004. thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!! :D
and i was wondering if someone could do a youtube vidieo on how the thing works, really new at bending pipe i will cut this soon when i get the material. and how bout them dies holy cow talk about pricey!!
thanks yall are great!!!!!!!!!!
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

Main pin hole on my pro tools 1" so I would bet that it is the same for this bender.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

Yes, the main die pin is 1". The hole for that needs to have a 1.25" OD bushing pressed in, so I undersized the hole on the drawing so it can be drilled to final size. (since a plasma cut hole is not going to be suitable for pressing a bushing into)
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

I did mine 1.030 and didn't do a bushing. My pin has worked for 10 years of cage building. Actually ordering a new die becauseiit has got to wore out...:-)..the bushing is better all the new benders have them.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

HammerDownJustin wrote:I did mine 1.030 and didn't do a bushing. My pin has worked for 10 years of cage building. Actually ordering a new die becauseiit has got to wore out...:-)..the bushing is better all the new benders have them.
The main reason I wanted a bushing there, was to keep the arms and frame connected when I pull the pin to change dies...without it, everything would fall apart when I yank the 1" pin. :)
grzmnky
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by grzmnky »

I updated the tube bender drawing to utilize 3/4" plate (what I had laying around)... I integrated the spring hook into the arm. The job is currently in queue for cutting so I'll let you know how it turns out.

For the lower spring hook, I'm using a heavy duty eye bolt that I had laying around.

Let me know if you see any issues.

Edit: We are having this waterjet cut, btw...not with plasma. We just happened to have some 3/4" 4140 in stock for it.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

grzmnky wrote:I updated the tube bender drawing to utilize 3/4" plate (what I had laying around)... I integrated the spring hook into the arm. The job is currently in queue for cutting so I'll let you know how it turns out.

For the lower spring hook, I'm using a heavy duty eye bolt that I had laying around.

Let me know if you see any issues.

Edit: We are having this waterjet cut, btw...not with plasma. We just happened to have some 3/4" 4140 in stock for it.
Looks good! We'll need pics of the finished product. :)

By the way, with waterjet you should be able to cut the main die pin hole to it's final 1.25" size, I'd think? Guessing the finished tolerances are good enough to press the bushing into.....but I've never had anything cut that way, so it's just a guess. :mrgreen:
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

This is on my list to try and build. I showed my wife and as she is reading it she busted out laughing.. She asked me why someone named "I Lean" needs a bender? Thought i would just share that. Thank you for all the pics and files. I will post mine when i get a chance to build it.
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
grzmnky
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by grzmnky »

I Lean wrote:
Looks good! We'll need pics of the finished product. :)

By the way, with waterjet you should be able to cut the main die pin hole to it's final 1.25" size, I'd think? Guessing the finished tolerances are good enough to press the bushing into.....but I've never had anything cut that way, so it's just a guess. :mrgreen:

We've had lots of projects cut via waterjet. They can dial in the cut to be smooth as glass if needed, and its a 5 axis waterjet and can cut some pretty amazing pieces.

I forgot to resize the hole for the main die...I'll shoot that info to the shop right now...

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”