pontiac G8 help

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
authenticwrench
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

pontiac G8 help

Post by authenticwrench »

Still learning this and I welcome the help, I am figuring out the programs as I go but I am looking for help with this file if anyone has it?

jmersereau
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: pontiac G8 help

Post by jmersereau »

Hi, are you asking for help tracing this or is this your design that you are asking for suggestions?

Jim
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
LightBurn, SheetCAM, FireControl
YESWELDER Digital MIG-205DS MIG
authenticwrench
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

help tracing, I had a request for a g8 sign. I am still very new to all this and want to learn.

jmersereau wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:38 pm Hi, are you asking for help tracing this or is this your design that you are asking for suggestions?

Jim
jmersereau

Post by jmersereau »

What software do you have access to?

Is this your photo? if you took the picture I suggest you make it easier on yourself in the future and take the photo as square on as possible so you don't get the angled perspective.

I did a quick manual trace with my pen tool making straight lines around the image, I then used the Bezier curve handles to match the curves.
PontiacG8 Curves.JPG
Then I added CORBEL font text, stretched it to match and added bridges so the centers of the letters don't fall out.

I just started doing this a couple weeks ago so I am still learning and probably others can do this much faster and better.
Pontiac G8.png
Jim
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
authenticwrench
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

right now i am using inkscape and viacad, but very very green with it, learning more and more everyday.

jmersereau wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:02 pm What software do you have access to?

Is this your photo? if you took the picture I suggest you make it easier on yourself in the future and take the photo as square on as possible so you don't get the angled perspective.

I did a quick manual trace with my pen tool making straight lines around the image, I then used the Bezier curve handles to match the curves.

PontiacG8 Curves.JPG

Then I added CORBEL font text, stretched it to match and added bridges so the centers of the letters don't fall out.

I just started doing this a couple weeks ago so I am still learning and probably others can do this much faster and better.

Pontiac G8.png

Jim
jmersereau

Post by jmersereau »

I would suggest searching and watching YouTube videos until you can't stand it (then watch some more) and playing with patterns, photos and designs.

Also download different files on here and look at what others do to create and represent images.

Practice until you get better at it or if you don't want to do that you should find someone who is good at bringing your ideas to clean DXF files at a fair price.

Check these files out and see if you can tweak them to a design that you like.
Pontiac G8.dxf
Pontiac G8.svg
Jim
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
authenticwrench
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

I appreciate it, I have been watching so many youtube videos and it has been helping. I am looking forward to being able to do these easier as time goes on with experience.

jmersereau wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:05 pm I would suggest searching and watching YouTube videos until you can't stand it (then watch some more) and playing with patterns, photos and designs.

Also download different files on here and look at what others do to create and represent images.

Practice until you get better at it or if you don't want to do that you should find someone who is good at bringing your ideas to clean DXF files at a fair price.

Check these files out and see if you can tweak them to a design that you like.
Pontiac.JPG
Pontiac G8.dxf
Pontiac G8.svg

Jim
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

jmersereau wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:02 pm What software do you have access to?

PontiacG8 Curves.JPG

Pontiac G8.png

Jim
Jim,
I am interested in learning more about your pen tool that you used for tracing this image. From your photo, it looks like you might have done your manual trace in LightBurn. Is this a separate pen (stylus) with tablet, or are you using the drawing tool as show in my screenshot and using your mouse?
Thanks,
David
LightBurn Pontiac trace with pen tool.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jmersereau

Post by jmersereau »

I used the pen tool you have highlighted and my mouse

I drew a "box" approx at the base of the fenders
1.JPG
then I dragged the middle of the long lines up to start the curves, then I held down the CTL key and click/dragged the bottom corners of the shape to the locations I wanted them
2.JPG
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
jmersereau

Post by jmersereau »

Every so often I export the DXF from LightBurn and open it in SheetCAM to see how the kerf path looks, I may have to widen a line or ease a curve in order for the plasma cutter to have room to travel.
3.JPG
4.JPG
Last edited by jmersereau on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
jmersereau

Post by jmersereau »

LightBurn has a ton of great YouTube videos as well as great documentation online... https://lightburnsoftware.github.io/New ... #node-edit
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks Jim! I need to spend some time learning/using LightBurn. Up to this point I have only used it for auto-tracing. I normally use Design Edge for checking kerf paths, etc. generated from Inkscape or LightBurn. I can then do any necessary mods directly in Design Edge. I realize that not everyone has (or will have) Design Edge since it is only available with the purchase of a Plasmacam table. When I started out with my Plasmacam over 4 years ago, I was pretty much a beginner and had never even heard of Inkscape, sheetcam, LightBurn, etc. But it is nice to learn these different approaches to doing things with the different programs or combinations of them.
David
jmersereau

Post by jmersereau »

David,

You are welcome, every day I am learning something new or a "better" way to do this. I'm having fun and enjoying this new hobby!

Jim
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

My problem is that I probably have way too many "hobbies". So I end up spreading myself "too thin".
David

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”