garden gnomes

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
MIFab
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: garden gnomes

Post by MIFab »

Larry83301 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:12 pm
sparkey wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:55 am Image
sparkey could you post the file with the numbered pieces, it's just a little different than the file you posted. The one you posted is the same as the file in this picture, in the other picture are a couple of different GNOMES, they are all standing up and have posts on the backside and are numbered.

gardengnomes.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Larry
The post you are talking about is .25" rod welded to the back.... Be happy he chose to share the file.
sparkey
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by sparkey »

thank you
Glenn Sparkey Wilson
owner SD Custom Machining & Signs
5 x 5 Maverick CNC Table
85 Hyperthrem
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

Thanks for the share. My wife was just asking me about some gnomes for the garden!
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

Wow, I can have fun with those for sure.....Thank you!!
LexLuther
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by LexLuther »

Did anyone else have trouble working with this file in Fusion 360?
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

sparkey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:57 am i have made 5 more designs i take pic and modify them i cut about 40 of them people like them and weld 1/4 rod so they stick in the ground
Why not just incorporate spikes into the bottom of the design?

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

sparkey wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:57 am i have made 5 more designs i take pic and modify them i cut about 40 of them people like them and weld 1/4 rod so they stick in the ground
Are YOU the original author of these designs?

Joe

https://www.etsy.com/listing/946195569/ ... ch_click=1

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

LexLuther wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:50 am Did anyone else have trouble working with this file in Fusion 360?
Lex - what specific problems are you having with this file when you bring it into Fusion 360? This one is going to be very slow to load due to the complexity of the file, but it will load and cut. You will need to draw a large rectangle around the group of designs to simulate the actual sheet of material it will be cut from.

Another option would be to open this file with QCad and save as dxf R13, then open with Inkscape and select a smaller group of individual gnomes and save as svg. Then import this svg to Fusion 360 and it should go quicker due to the smaller file size. Both QCad and Inkscape are free.

David
garden gnomes Fusion 360 1.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I have no problem with folks either modifying or combining parts of existing designs to put their own twist on it.
David
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:34 am I have no problem with folks either modifying or combining parts of existing designs to put their own twist on it.
David
Your livelihood does not rely on the sale of these Gnome designs, or metal art made from these designs that are obviously drawn by ONE person or one family, much like the "peeking cow," "peeking goat," and that collection.

Thinking back :roll: ... if I remember correctly ... it wasn't so long ago, that I was reminded of how my own willingness to convert files "for FUN!" really bothered an individual who "DIDN'T inherit a lot of money", so he was doomed to rely on his own design skills and small jobs that came his way, in order to pay his bills and make a living. I believe he viewed my free help as "taking food off of [his] table." In fact, he made a point of it.

So I guess I must ask ... Is it different when HE benefits from the free, unauthorized duplication, manipulation and distribution of another artist's work? Doesn't that take food off of the original artist's table? :roll:

There are SO MANY of these "Garden Gnome" designs out there on ETSY, and eBay, and Instagram, and so many other places, all with the exact same "flavor" and artistic style, that I must conclude that my inability to easily find ALL of the existing art files that exactly match up to these gnome files (above) does not conclude that they do not exist elsewhere. Speaking only for myself (apparently), the swapping of a flower on a hat, or a wrinkle in a shirt, or simply mirroring the original art is NOT enough of a stray from the original design to excuse the unauthorized duplication of the art.

Anyone with artistic talent can draw Mickey Mouse in any position, however, when the drawing is close enough to the trademark art of Disney, and the person is profiting from those drawings by marketing T-shirts or toys MADE IN CHINA, you can bet that Disney's attorneys will be contacting that person about a Copyright infringement.

We can't have it BOTH ways.

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
12 Lasers

LexLuther
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by LexLuther »

adbuch wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:26 am
LexLuther wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:50 am Did anyone else have trouble working with this file in Fusion 360?
Another option would be...
David

This is probably what I need to try, thanks for the hint / suggestion. The file just seems huge, like it crashes fusion every time I try to manipulate them and they import .25 inches tall.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Last edited by adbuch on Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

LexLuther wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:37 am
adbuch wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:26 am
Another option would be...
David

This is probably what I need to try, thanks for the hint / suggestion. The file just seems huge, like it crashes fusion every time I try to manipulate them and they import .25 inches tall.
Lex - the file did work for me this time. But there are other times when these sorts of files have crashed Fusion 360 when I tried to load. So unless you need to cut all of them at once, smaller files may help. Another option might be to break them up to smaller groups for import to Fusion 360, then import the groups one at a time and assemble once into Fusion 360. I haven't tried that yet, but it would be interesting to see if it makes a difference.
David

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”