Infinity Heart DXF Design

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Infinity Heart

Post by adbuch »

I had some success using the Union tool.
infinity 1.jpg
infinity 2.jpg
infinity 3.jpg
infinity 4.jpg
infinity 5.jpg
infinity 6.jpg
infinity 7.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SRdesign »

The original file has some nodes out of whack, that’s why it has that weird triangle. I like to keep things in black and white like the original file so I can see the image better and things like that triangle stand out. The reason your numbers and periods didn’t work the first time is because they are just text when you type them. You are correct, once you select that text, then click object to path, it now becomes a vector graphic with nodes. The reason that union doesn’t work sometimes is a little confusing to me but it has something to do with layers and different objects trying to “unionize” all at the same time (that’s the best that I could explain it). I’ve found that if it doesn’t work I look at the comment bar down at the bottom and it usually gives an explanation of why it didn’t work. Also if you have multiple letters that are not unioned together you can click combine and then union all of those letters to the image. I really don’t explain it as good as “logos by nick” and “bad dog metalworks”
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

It might be because the dots are circles and not text. The dots in the script font are square shaped, so I used spaces and then added the circles.
I'll try these techniques on the third picture I posted when I get some time.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

SRdesign wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:40 pm The original file has some nodes out of whack, that’s why it has that weird triangle. I like to keep things in black and white like the original file so I can see the image better and things like that triangle stand out. The reason your numbers and periods didn’t work the first time is because they are just text when you type them. You are correct, once you select that text, then click object to path, it now becomes a vector graphic with nodes. The reason that union doesn’t work sometimes is a little confusing to me but it has something to do with layers and different objects trying to “unionize” all at the same time (that’s the best that I could explain it). I’ve found that if it doesn’t work I look at the comment bar down at the bottom and it usually gives an explanation of why it didn’t work. Also if you have multiple letters that are not unioned together you can click combine and then union all of those letters to the image. I really don’t explain it as good as “logos by nick” and “bad dog metalworks”
I think what you say makes sense. I'm not sure how the large triangle was created as seen in the regular view as opposed to the outline view. That was there in the posted file. I like to work in outline mode as I find that easier for me to work with. But I know that Tom likes to work in the standard view with all the fill and stroke showing. Yes - Logos by Nick and Bad Dog Metalworks have some great tutorials. I paid the $17 for the complete Logos by Nick tutorial set, but have only watched the first few so far. For me I learn by doing as opposed to trying to just watch tutorials. So these requests for help with files like the one djreiswig posted give a chance to try to learn using a "real world" example. But there will be times when node editing may be required, so nothing lost here by learning and practicing some of those techniques as well.

This drawing also involved preparing the original jpeg image for auto tracing using Paint.net, some node editing to remove the existing names, creating text and fitting to a curved path and positioning over the infinity heart. So much needed to be done before that last step of using the Union tool to attach the names to the heart. So I think lots of good stuff here and a great learning experience - for myself and possibly others as well. As I said, I normally use Design Edge and am trying to get up to speed with some of the Inkscape tools.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:01 pm It might be because the dots are circles and not text. The dots in the script font are square shaped, so I used spaces and then added the circles.
I'll try these techniques on the third picture I posted when I get some time.
Yes - I noticed that after I used Object to path, I then had to use the Combine tool with the dots before doing the Union. Lots of details to get sorted out here and in the right order. I might try practicing on your third picture. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out as well. You friend is going to have many choices here with all the variations. Hopefully he will find one that he likes.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I tried the third picture, and got this far. I had good luck with the Union tool for the "Dave", but not for the "Karla". What am I doing wrong?
This is the sort of time where I would resort to doing it manually with nodes, but perhaps Tom or one of the others knowledgeable with Inkscape will step in here and show us the correct sequence to accomplish this.
Thanks,
David
Union not working here.jpg
Karla and Dave Infinity Heart test.svg

SRdesign

Post by SRdesign »

adbuch wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:54 am
SRdesign wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:40 pm The original file has some nodes out of whack, that’s why it has that weird triangle. I like to keep things in black and white like the original file so I can see the image better and things like that triangle stand out. The reason your numbers and periods didn’t work the first time is because they are just text when you type them. You are correct, once you select that text, then click object to path, it now becomes a vector graphic with nodes. The reason that union doesn’t work sometimes is a little confusing to me but it has something to do with layers and different objects trying to “unionize” all at the same time (that’s the best that I could explain it). I’ve found that if it doesn’t work I look at the comment bar down at the bottom and it usually gives an explanation of why it didn’t work. Also if you have multiple letters that are not unioned together you can click combine and then union all of those letters to the image. I really don’t explain it as good as “logos by nick” and “bad dog metalworks”
I think what you say makes sense. I'm not sure how the large triangle was created as seen in the regular view as opposed to the outline view. That was there in the posted file. I like to work in outline mode as I find that easier for me to work with. But I know that Tom likes to work in the standard view with all the fill and stroke showing. Yes - Logos by Nick and Bad Dog Metalworks have some great tutorials. I paid the $17 for the complete Logos by Nick tutorial set, but have only watched the first few so far. For me I learn by doing as opposed to trying to just watch tutorials. So these requests for help with files like the one djreiswig posted give a chance to try to learn using a "real world" example. But there will be times when node editing may be required, so nothing lost here by learning and practicing some of those techniques as well.

This drawing also involved preparing the original jpeg image for auto tracing using Paint.net, some node editing to remove the existing names, creating text and fitting to a curved path and positioning over the infinity heart. So much needed to be done before that last step of using the Union tool to attach the names to the heart. So I think lots of good stuff here and a great learning experience - for myself and possibly others as well. As I said, I normally use Design Edge and am trying to get up to speed with some of the Inkscape tools.

David
I definitely agree that the best way to learn is to actually get in Inkscape and click buttons. The way that I learn from logos by nick is by opening the project that I’m working on, then watching his videos and pausing and rewinding them. He moves really fast through his tutorials so it’s hard to follow along without pausing and rewinding multiple times.
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I'm stumped on the last one I posted. Do you have a solution to get it to union correctly?
Thanks,
David
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

Here's how i do it.
Edit... forgot to attach the file.

Last edited by ROKCRLER on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER - some very good tips here!! I will have to study your screen shots in more detail to see exactly what you have done. I know there are so many different ways to do things with Inkscape, and I have most definitely not watched enough of the instructional videos.
Thanks,
David
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Thanks Rokcrler. Definitely saving this post. Much easier than moving nodes around. I might actually have some chance of success.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

The moving of nodes and clipping here and there is what broke the design that showed the odd triangle.
I've watched David and Joe with DE and see that they can trim easily, Inkscape also has that function where you can delete segments between nodes, and i use it often, but the method i posted has worked out great for me.
I'm no expert by any means, but 90% of what I've learned, I've learned by studying Steve Armstrong's videos https://www.youtube.com/c/BadDogMetalworks.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks ROKCRLER!! I followed your step-by-step above and had success. It's still easier for me to work in outline mode, but there must be advantages to working in normal mode that I am missing. I can see that the odd shaped triangle in the file you started with for the Infinity Heart wouldn't have showed up in outline mode initially. I didn't know about using the Join selected nodes tool, had never used it. We have something similar in Design Edge, which is what I am used to.

I remember about 5 years ago when I started with Design Edge that came with my Plasmacam table. I really didn't understand how it really worked and used to draw in autocad and them import the dxf files to Design Edge. That's pretty much where I am at now with Inkscape as far as my progress on the Inkscape learning curve. It took me lots of practice along with some great tips from Robert Johnson to get to my current proficiency level with Design Edge. So I might be close to 90% proficiency wise with Design Edge, but probably closer to 10% as far as using Inkscape goes. But all of this "practice" with Inkscape is helping me hopefully get to the next level on the curve.

Here is my result following your guidance from above.

Thanks,
David
dave and karla works now.jpg

ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Glad it helped David...
I used to and still work in outline mode, but in fill mode and changing the various items to different colors helps with visualizing the overlaps, and open lines.

There are definitely different ways to accomplish the same task, especially with the different formats of files.
I prefer SVG for art stuff but i know folks here like DXF better, so the combine nodes trick has worked well for me.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Another thing to help with moving letters around is the Alt key and the arrow keys, this is done before they are made a path. Each arrow click moves selected section right, left, up, and down see attached. This help when you want to join letter to a single item (complete a name together).
letter move 1.jpg
letter move 2.jpg
letter move 3.jpg

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:27 am Glad it helped David...
I used to and still work in outline mode, but in fill mode and changing the various items to different colors helps with visualizing the overlaps, and open lines.

There are definitely different ways to accomplish the same task, especially with the different formats of files.
I prefer SVG for art stuff but i know folks here like DXF better, so the combine nodes trick has worked well for me.
Thanks for you help! Yes - I like the outline mode as well. Since Design Edge does not support svg, it is very handy to export from Inkscape as dxf. I have found, however, that Fusion 360 seems to do better with svg as opposed to dxf.
David
de import file types.jpg

Last edited by adbuch on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:03 am Another thing to help with moving letters around is the Alt key and the arrow keys, this is done before they are made a path. Each arrow click moves selected section right, left, up, and down see attached. This help when you want to join letter to a single item (complete a name together).
letter move 1.jpg
letter move 2.jpg
letter move 3.jpg
Tom- those are some great tips. I will need to check this out the next time I am using Inkscape.
Thanks,
David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:03 am Another thing to help with moving letters around is the Alt key and the arrow keys, this is done before they are made a path. Each arrow click moves selected section right, left, up, and down see attached. This help when you want to join letter to a single item (complete a name together).
Awesome tips Tom... i didn't know those!
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I think I did it. How's it look? Rockcrlr, your instructions helped immensely. :Like Using these methods, I might actually be able to create some artistic stuff now. :Yay
I Did It!!.JPG
I Did It!!.svg

C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:46 pm I think I did it. How's it look? Rockcrlr, your instructions helped immensely. :Like Using these methods, I might actually be able to create some artistic stuff now. :Yay
I Did It!!.JPG
I Did It!!.svg
This looks great! One little thing you might want to take care of below. Don't what that "2" to fall off when cut.
David
almost there.jpg

djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Thanks. I must not have had it slid down enough when I joined it.
I tried playing with one of the other drawings you helped me with. I'm wondering what I might be doing different that I end up with a bunch of nodes after tracing. I think I used the same settings you showed, but your path looks a lot cleaner than mine.
Less nodes.JPG
Lots of nodes.JPG

C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:38 pm Thanks. I must not have had it slid down enough when I joined it.
I tried playing with one of the other drawings you helped me with. I'm wondering what I might be doing different that I end up with a bunch of nodes after tracing. I think I used the same settings you showed, but your path looks a lot cleaner than mine.
Less nodes.JPG
Lots of nodes.JPG
Once you select the hearts and get them as one, select it and press Ctrl and L, it will simplify but might lose definition... Which you can adjust with node editor...
Looks good though...it's a great feeling once you get it...
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Thanks. I kinda played with simplify. Had to adjust down to .005, but it looks pretty good. Working on the text now. Ill post when I get it finished.
What do you think would be a "friend" price to cut one of these designs out? 16ga HR, about 30" wide. Just cleanup, no finishing.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Okay. I think I have it all drawn, but I can't seem to get the text to join to the outline. I already split the ends of the names (I'm not sure if I needed to or not) I guess I could just move the nodes around and connect them, but I thought there was a command that would connect everything. I guess I still don't quite understand Union, Difference, and Combine. None of them seemed to do what I want.

Also, I need to connect the date, but I think if the rest was a closed path, then I could accomplish that by following your previous instructions.

Hopefully you can get me out of the weeds and back on the right path. :HaHa
letters in path.svg

C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

letters in path 1.jpg
letters in path 1.svg

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”