Eagle Plasma table, Lost and confused i just got it

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Fish1la
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Eagle Plasma table, Lost and confused i just got it

Post by Fish1la »

Eagle Plasma table...I just got it and i dont know what type of software to use it comes with mach3 but what type of drawing soft ware do i get ? how do i change the epp printer file im in over my head need help please. cant get started!!!
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Lost and confused i just got a Eagle Plasma table

Post by FiveORacing »

It was all Japanese to me a year ago when I got my table. FWIW, I use TurboCad to draw with, but there are several others I'm sure are just as good if not a little more advanced. I think this site has a good buy available for a drawing program too. I then use Sheetcam TNG to take the TurboCad drawings dxf's and convert them to a cut file (tap) and also dial in all the cut settings. From there I use Mach 3 to convert (or read)the tap file to G-code and operate the table.

I don't have a clue how to read, or edit G-code and I relied on my table manufacturer (BullTear)to have it set up properly. Once they guided me through the initial setup I have had no problems.

I also tried quite a few vector conversion programs and finally was happy with Vextractor which was $100. The Vextractor does a pretty decent job of converting files to DXF vector drawings (with some practice) which can then be cleaned up and edited in your CAD program.

If you end up trying Sheetcam, take advantage of the "simulation" program. You can learn a lot about how the machine needs to cut from running simulations.
Fish1la
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Fish1la »

so you use turbocad to draw in sheetcam to convert and mach3 to cut. i think i understand a little. is there a tablit i can use to draw with that would make drawing ez er. i have autocadd and for parts is its great but for drawing like fish or somthing like that not so good.
FiveORacing
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FiveORacing »

Fish1la wrote:so you use turbocad to draw in sheetcam to convert and mach3 to cut. i think i understand a little. is there a tablit i can use to draw with that would make drawing ez er. i have autocadd and for parts is its great but for drawing like fish or somthing like that not so good.

Well that's why I got Vextractor, because I can make shapes and add and remove lines, add text and turn it into stencils etc, but I can't really draw either. Many guys trace and reshape images such as a photograph, but I doubt there are many people that literally draw in a Cad program outside of shapes and lettering. I've been prettty successful in simply scanning parts on a flatbed, and then running them through Vextractor (there are others, I'm not pushing just them) and then cleaning it up in Turbocad. It will take you a while to learn the process.

Having said all that, I have purchased quite a few file from guys on this site, and have downloaded all the offered free stuff here.
EaglePlasma
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by EaglePlasma »

You will need any CAD program (we use QCad free community version) to make your drawing file (a DXF file)
You will need to convert it to a cut file using any CAM program.
you then import your cut file to Mach3.

Return to “SheetCam”