Feedrate cutting vs tool

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
xnaron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Feedrate cutting vs tool

Post by xnaron »

There is a feedrate in the cutting operation as well as the tool. Does the feedrate in the cutting op overide the feedrate in the tool?

attachment=0]Annotation 2020-08-11 181952.png[/attachment]
Attachments
Annotation 2020-08-11 181952.png
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Feedrate cutting vs tool

Post by djreiswig »

The tool feedrate is what the operation defaults to when created. If you modify the feedrate in the operation, the it takes precedence. You can change the tool feedrate, but if you don't select update operations it will only affects new operations created after the change.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
xnaron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by xnaron »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:37 pm The tool feedrate is what the operation defaults to when created. If you modify the feedrate in the operation, the it takes precedence. You can change the tool feedrate, but if you don't select update operations it will only affects new operations created after the change.
Ah that is a gotcha for me as I had a value set in the operation feedrate and it would carry that forward to new jobs. When I selected a new tool with a different feedrate I would still be using the one from the operation. Good to know and I will double check that going forward so it doesn't bite me. I verified this now by looking at the generated gcode.

Thanks
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Just think of the toolbox as a set of tools. When you want to do something you create an operation. Then you select a tool for the operation and it comes over with it's settings. If you change the settings in the operation it doesn't change the toolbox. If you change the tool settings in the toolbox, then you can choose if you want to carry this change over to the existing operations or just the newly created ones.
Sometimes SheetCam tries to make repetition easier by filling things in with the previously used value. This is nice, but we can get complacent and overlook the settings and get unexpected results. BTDT.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

Return to “SheetCam”