crashing/freezing with SVG

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
mr.jake519
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

crashing/freezing with SVG

Post by mr.jake519 »

Does anyone else have issues with sheetcam when importing a larger SVG. design? It seems to constantly crash, freeze or the screen quits responding.
I can upload a file that i couldnt get to work without crashing, ended up having to convert to dfx to get it cut.
Home built 4x8
uccnc
axbb-e
gecko 201x
Neuron lite thc
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: crashing/freezing with SVG

Post by acourtjester »

What software are you generating the file with, some software don't work with others. It could be the method the lines and shapes are assembled.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
mr.jake519
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mr.jake519 »

CorelDraw is what i use for svg, If i use fusion 360 for dimensional parts and export as dfx never an issue.
Home built 4x8
uccnc
axbb-e
gecko 201x
Neuron lite thc
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are many that use Coreldraw here and there have been posts about similar problems, it seems you need to do a convert before saving the SVG file. I'm sure someone will post with the correction.
I use Inkscape for my work without a problem, just remember to use a 1 to 1 scale when importing in to SheetCam.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

I have had sheetcam hang for a long time when bringing in a new part (svg). This happened after I did a trace and did not clean up the nodes. The I was schooled by the great one jester. Once I removed the tons of nodes I did not have a problem.
mr.jake519
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mr.jake519 »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:09 pm There are many that use Coreldraw here and there have been posts about similar problems, it seems you need to do a convert before saving the SVG file. I'm sure someone will post with the correction.
I use Inkscape for my work without a problem, just remember to use a 1 to 1 scale when importing in to SheetCam.

what do you mean by doing a convert before saving svg? Currently i just export as svg.

Ive removed as many nodes as possible, dont think i have overlapping lines. Here's the file...
It loads (slowly). I found usually after spending lots of time with it in sheetcam, creating layers etc. it crashed just before im done :Mad
Attachments
russtree sign.svg
(202.11 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Home built 4x8
uccnc
axbb-e
gecko 201x
Neuron lite thc
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok I looked over the file and there are 2 problems I see, first there are still far to many nodes and they seen to be bunched up. I don't know if it is how you drew them, like many connected short lines to make a longer line. the second is if you look at the image I attached you can see small light nodes, what I have found it they are double nodes (one or more stacked on top of each other) they just add to the number of nodes but look like one. Inkscape has a function called "simplilfy" under the path dropdown. This will greatly reduce the nodes but will mess up some of the shapes as shown in the attached images. Maybe one os the members that use Corel could help to get things better.
russtracktor.JPG
russ 2.JPG
russ 3.JPG
russ 4.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
mr.jake519
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mr.jake519 »

Thats strange, your right thats likely my issue. I had removed most of those nodes. Maybe they reappear when exporting?
Home built 4x8
uccnc
axbb-e
gecko 201x
Neuron lite thc
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a small part of you drawing with problems both a large number of nodes in 2 sections. You can see this part has many sections that are separate and not joined as one. The small node at the top I clicked on it and deleted it but the whole attached line was removed not just that node. her is a post from the past talking about corel file problems may not be yours.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=29232&p=176809&hil ... es#p176809
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
mr.jake519
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mr.jake519 »

Thanks acourtjester, i will have to play around in corel, i just started using it.
Home built 4x8
uccnc
axbb-e
gecko 201x
Neuron lite thc

Return to “SheetCam”