Is this possible in Sheetcam?...Moving, nesting parts

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Metalfabcnc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Is this possible in Sheetcam?...Moving, nesting parts

Post by Metalfabcnc »

I have a question regarding sheetcam .DXF files. I've only been working with sheetcam for a few months now and I'm new to this forum. I just downloaded a free .DXF file off here and was able to import the drawing but I'm needing to rearrange the parts to fit my table's work space(4'x4'). Is this even possible with a .DXF file? Anytime I've needed to alter or rearrange a file I just go back to the .SVG file(inkscape). If theres a way of doing this with out going back and forth between files I'd greatly appreciate any help around this.
(Also I only need to cut 1 of each item and not 2)

Thanks,
- Mike Cote

Follow to see my latest work.
https://www.instagram.com/metalfabcnc
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Is this possible in Sheetcam?...

Post by acourtjester »

If the file has those items like it is shown no, but a quick way is in Inkscape have the file displayed and then with the arrow pointer enabled pull a box around the group you want to cut and use copy and paste to a new Inkscape page and save it like that. Do each item you want a save it separately. Then in SheetCam do a import drawing of one, then use the new parts option and add another item. You then can mover each one with the contour function to nest them. It help when you bring in new items to tell SheetCam to place it in the middle of the table, that way you are not putting one on top of another. Add as many as you want this way. :Like
new part.JPG
new part 2.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Metalfabcnc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Metalfabcnc »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:36 pm If the file has those items like it is shown no, but a quick way is in Inkscape have the file displayed and then with the arrow pointer enabled pull a box around the group you want to cut and use copy and paste to a new Inkscape page and save it like that. Do each item you want a save it separately. Then in SheetCam do a import drawing of one, then use the new parts option and add another item. You then can mover each one with the contour function to nest them. It help when you bring in new items to tell SheetCam to place it in the middle of the table, that way you are not putting one on top of another. Add as many as you want this way. :Like
new part.JPG
new part 2.JPG
Thank you acourtjester the only issue is that i don't have a the .SVG file for inkscape the download only had the .DXF file thats what I'm trying to work with. Unless this isn't possible I have yet to be able to open a .DXF file with inkscape without it saying an error occurred.
Thanks,
- Mike Cote

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

What I do is open the DXF file in QCAD and save it as a R18 (2004/LT2004)DXF Drawing (Teigha) (*.dxf) chose your name and saved location.
That will open in Inkscape with the dimensions of the original file. :Like I you open many DXF file in Inkscape the scale is way off sometime just junk.
QCAD is free just download it and have it for these types of operations. :Yay
file.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I've never used it, but there is a function in SheetCam I've seen Les talk about.
Right click on the job and select 'break up manually nested drawing. This will break the drawing into individual parts.
Worth a shot.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Metalfabcnc
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Metalfabcnc »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:01 pm What I do is open the DXF file in QCAD and save it as a R18 (2004/LT2004)DXF Drawing (Teigha) (*.dxf) chose your name and saved location.
That will open in Inkscape with the dimensions of the original file. :Like I you open many DXF file in Inkscape the scale is way off sometime just junk.
QCAD is free just download it and have it for these types of operations. :Yay
file.JPG
Thank you very much this was a great way to work around this this of issue. Took a little bit of time but I'm ok with that.

djreiswig, I also I tried to find the setting/feature your speaking of in sheetcam. I imported the .DXF file selected an operation then the nesting tool and right clicked on the part. The only thing I saw that is anything like you mentioning is a repositioning setting but it will move the entire job on the work space. I saw nothing about being able to break the job file up...
Thanks,
- Mike Cote

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There is that function but it has been a long time since I used it but not sure if it will do as you want. Maybe Les will comment
I found it but I think it only works on parts you have nested manually. The part will change colors so you can see it, you also need to click on the move icon and use the left mouse button to move the part.
nesting.JPG
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

djreiswig wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:31 pm I've never used it, but there is a function in SheetCam I've seen Les talk about.
Right click on the job and select 'break up manually nested drawing. This will break the drawing into individual parts.
Worth a shot.
Thank you! I never knew this feature existed......just gave it a go and works like a champ.
JD2 MAD 4X4
Millermatic 252 (spray)
Millermatic 190 (short circuit)
Syncrowave 210
Powermax 65
Powermax 45xp
Grizzly Vertical Mill (junk)
Baileigh BS-210M
50t Press
Shitloads of DeWalt
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

:Like
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
ironshepherdforge
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ironshepherdforge »

djreiswig wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:31 pm I've never used it, but there is a function in SheetCam I've seen Les talk about.
Worth a shot.
Thank you!!! Just used this post. Thanks for sharing this. Lifesaver!!!

Return to “SheetCam”