svg not loading properly

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

svg not loading properly

Post by Billythegoat »

I am trying to load this svg into sheetcam and nothing shows on my screen at all. I added the names to a blank canvas fire pit file that I use. Can't figure out why this file will not load properly.....
Attachments
Rob final.svg
(79.61 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: svg not loading properly

Post by beefy »

I imported your SVG file into Coreldraw and well let's just say some of the drawing is all over the place. So the SVG export from your program seems to have got messed up. I managed to transfer the dodgy parts to a different layer but then I'm guessing a lot of what you need is missing.

I've seen this quite often with SVG files. Can you export to DXF and see if that's any better. Or can you get your drawing into a different cad program and export from there.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ben de lappe »

Imported into Inkscape, saved as .eps, pulled into TM cad and connected various segments and removed a few errant lines. Lettering wasn't edited so took care of that too. Here's the .svg as well as .dxf, maybe better luck that route.
Hope it helps.
Attachments
Pit_Rob_PS.dxf
(154.63 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Pit_Rob_PS.svg
(163.45 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Pit_Rob_PS.png
Pit_Rob_PS.png (47.15 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Billythegoat »

Wow Ben, you are da bomb!

Beefy, I did try to export as dxf and it did work but was out of scale and I really wanted to figure this svg thing out in case it would happen again.

Still don't understand why it happened. So frustrating but thank you to both of you.
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Most welcome Billy, glad to help. What program are you using to create the .svg? Hopefully we can figure out what happened and keep the frustration down on your end.
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Glad it got sorted for you Billy.

Ben,

you got me curious now. I'm going to see if I can achieve in Coreldraw what you achieved in Inkscape/TM cad

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Well that was interesting. So it seemed the issue was coming from the text. When I deleted all the stray lines and nodes, all the main parts were there minus the text.

That was a good lesson for me. I initially thought the whole drawing was stuffed. Amazing how a few mangled objects make the whole drawing appear as though it's been put through a blender.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Coreldraw 2019
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Nope, not stuffed this time. Though like you I thought we were in trouble for a minute. I never saw a blended mess. Not sure if that's because I pulled it into Inkscape first or what. As you state the lettering was stuffed, where most of the issue seemed to be.

Amazing how different software reacts to issues in a drawing, I've had some files shut my cad down. Which really stinks when I have 2-3 files going simultaneously in cad and pull a file in to help someone out...POOF! :-o :Mad
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

For my own curiosity I loaded the original file in to different software programs I have to see what it looked like.
As the original poster said nothing showed in SheetCam loading his SVG.
And nothing showed in my CAD program TurboCAD 2018.
When opened in QCAD letter messed up as posted before.
Opened in Inkscape without a problem saved in DXF the SheetCAM without a problem. I increased the stroke in Inkscape so it could be seen in the screen shot but original stroke was fine for the save file and SheetCam. Image 2 and 3 are from Inkscape.
rob final 2.JPG
rob final 3.JPG
rob final 4.JPG
rob final 4.JPG (58.08 KiB) Viewed 580 times
rob final 5.dxf
(313.2 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
rob final 6.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Excellent notes AC! Now, correct me if I'm wrong. As far as the OP is concerned and assuming this .svg was created in Inkscape would Sheetcam not respond better to a file saved as "Desktop Cutting Plotter" (AutoCAD DXF R-14) .dxf? Is it just rumor or does Sheetcam prefer .dxf? I've never had the opportunity to try, only .dxf.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have used both for use by SheetCam, I seem to save in SVG if it a more art type file and DXF for more simpler type drawings. From what I saw I don't think the OP used Inkscape for his SVG file. From another post using SVG for my curiosity I saved a drawing in SVG that was not converted to a path and SheetCam was able to read it for planning, but if you save in DXF it does need to be a path or SheetCam will not display it. This is why I don't think he used Inkscape for his drawing. I'm no expert just an observer, Another thing I do is save in plain SVG not Inkscapes SVG only as a generic SVG other programs may load it easier, no basics for my OCD :HaHa :HaHa
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Billythegoat
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Billythegoat »

acourtjester, I did use inkscape. I have a generic firepit "blank canvas" that I open and add lettering or whatever to the fire pit before cutting. I have done probably 15 fire pits using this technique and never had a problem. I actually redrew this particular file thinking I did something wrong the first time.

99% of the time I use svg's from inkscape because it is all I have taught myself on for scaling and editing. I never had a problem before. Glad that I have the "great" minds analyzing it. Very much appreciated guys!

Return to “SheetCam”