Importing SVG - Sizing Issue

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Importing SVG - Sizing Issue

Post by Paint Chip »

I seem to be having a problem importing SVG drawings into Sheetcam. Drawings in Inkscape/SVG format are in inches - they come in reduced in size by 25% when the import drawing scaling factor is set to 1:1 metric or to 1:1 custom. I can fix the size by making the the import scale 1:1.3333 custom, but I'd like to know what is causing it - never had this issue before. Could be the problem is from a setting in Inkscape, but I don't know what it would be.
PPLLC 4X8 table w 620 ox steppers on 5 axes
Bladerunner CandCNC w/DTHC II
Hypertherm PM85
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Importing SVG - Sizing Issue

Post by acourtjester »

If the drawing is in inches when saved SVG Inkscape you need to import into sheetcam as SVG 1:1.
Now are you saving it under Inkscape SVG or Plain SVG, I always use Plain SVG drawn in inches and the import SVG 1:1 and the scale is correct in sheetcam. I only see metric and custom for DXF files.
convert.JPG
convert.JPG (50.88 KiB) Viewed 628 times
convert 2.JPG
convert 2.JPG (29.71 KiB) Viewed 628 times
convert3.JPG
convert3.JPG (24.76 KiB) Viewed 628 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Paint Chip »

Well, you spotted the problem - I created both an SVG and DXF file version and didn't pay attention to what file type Sheetcam was importing (saw the file named and grabbed it) - got the DXF version. That's how I got all three scaling options. The SVG version does import in the correct size and I only get 1:1 scaling choice. So, out of curiosity, why doesn't the dxf import in the correct size? Also, one other question - importing the SVG version seems to screw up the layers. Some objects that were in Inkscape on one layer show up in Sheetcam on the other layer. Crazy!
Hypertherm PM85
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

On the layering have you tried using the Contours option in SheetCam to split the different layer apart. I use this for putting all inside cuts in one layer for each part on the page. If I am wanting to have a drawing cut in many parts I separate them in Inkscape before saving.
I have not had a problem with different sizes between Inkscape and SheetCam when saving in inch and importing inch for DXF files.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Paint Chip »

Have not tried using contours - will give it a try. Thanks for the tip and for your help.
Hypertherm PM85

Return to “SheetCam”