separating parts in a multipart DXF

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
itsjustmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

separating parts in a multipart DXF

Post by itsjustmetal »

Hey guys we just picked up a plasma cutter (Arclight ArcMax) and getting introduced to Sheetcam. I have been watching tutorials and trying to figure out where to look or what to look for in regards to what I am trying to achieve. I have a dxf file that has 5 parts that are all rectangles but different lengths and widths. I am curious is there a way to separate each part individually so I can array and rotate each one individually to best fit the sheet with out creating a dxf file for each part?

I imported the drawing with all 5 parts and tried saving each part to new layers but when I rotate one it rotates all of the parts even when one layer is selected. Also when I array it arrays as if all the parts are there. I'm hoping I don't have to save each individual part but maybe that is what I have to do and just looking for some advice from those who are well versed in this.

Cheers
Ryan
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: separating parts in a multipart DXF

Post by Les Newell »

Load your drawing then right-click in the 'Parts' window and select 'break up manually nested drawing'. That will break the drawing into individual parts. I would suggest setting up the cut operations first. That way they will be copied to each part as the drawing is broken up.
itsjustmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by itsjustmetal »

:D AWESOME!! Thank you very much, I knew there had to be an easy way to do it haha.
itsjustmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by itsjustmetal »

One other question. Lets say I am arraying parts and I have 4 parts I need to cut with a quanity of 40 each. Lets say 40 of two of the parts fit on one sheet, and I need to cut the other 2 parts Is there a way to set up a sheet with the remainder of parts or do I need to make a second file for those?
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

Unfortunately you need a second file for the seconds sheet.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I just move another sheets parts across to one side, then add the additional parts to the sheet area.
That makes it much easier keeping track of part numbers and keeps operations consistent, works well for me.
SC2.png
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery

Return to “SheetCam”