Mach3, sheetcam, proma 150, floating head POST

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Mach3, sheetcam, proma 150, floating head POST

Post by TrinityFabworks »

Just looking to see if anyone has a post for something close to my setup? I've tried to edit the mp1000 thc post, and I haven't had much luck. I'd like it to touch off before every pierce and then for the proma to take over. The proma shows the voltage, but I dont think that it is raising or lowering the z. Any advice?
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Mach3, sheetcam, proma 150, floating head POST

Post by AdrianH »

Have you tried the Mach3 THC with scriber post and just disabled the scriber by setting to zero?

Adrian
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by TrinityFabworks »

No, is that what you use? I'm 100% new to cnc and I know absolutely nothing when I look at the post. I'm not much of a programmer at all. Do I just shut the scribe off in the post?
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

It is not what I use no I have my own modified post that I built up as I built and modified my home made hobby plasma, mine does touch off before every pierce, it does slow things down, but for me speed is not the problem I tend to cut mostly 1.6mm steel up to 3mm, 1/16" to 1/8" and warping was the problem for me.

With the scriber post if you select it and then edit it you will see hints in there as to what you need to change. You can have a touch off every 100mm 200mm or what ever you think is best.

The switching on and off THC is just a simple macro call in that post and mine the numbers may change but say M101.m1s macro could be as simple as EndTHC() and M102.m1s as StartTHC() I think it uses M999 and M998 in that post could be wrong and all it does is basically switch the function on or off in Mach3.

Sheetcam can start to be clever with cut rules, so when doing small shapes say a shaped cut-out where the torch will slow down considerably for corners circles etc it can turn off THC to stop the torch diving, or turn it off going into a sharp corner and back on again later going out of the corner, slow the speed down for some actions to get sharper corners instead of trying for constant velocity which tends to round things off I think it's part of the look ahead function that causes the rounding?

It is all part of the learning your own set-up, plasma cutter as well as table and the types of jobs you do.

In Sheetcam I have several cutting tools, one of each of the thicknesses I cut. Basically each one could have a different travel speed, plunge speed, pierce height, etc. to suit the material. So mine are called 1.6mm 2mm 3mm 5mm etc each with settings I have found works for me.

Or you spend the money and buy a full blown ready to go system where the cad is part of the package, you tell it what thickness the steel is and press go cut.

Adrian

Return to “SheetCam”