How do I set up Sheetcam to start the pierce on the first cut where I position the torch

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
Searchman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

How do I set up Sheetcam to start the pierce on the first cut where I position the torch

Post by Searchman »

When I position the torch where I would like to start my 1st cut it all-ways moves about 3 inches to the right before it makes the 1st pierce. Is there a setting in Sheetcam that will program the cut to start exactly where I position it on the material?
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How do I set up Sheetcam to start the pierce on the first cut where I position the torch

Post by djreiswig »

You have to position the start point on the part at 0,0 in the SheetCam screen and then zero your table x,y where you position your torch and it will start where the torch is.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: How do I set up Sheetcam to start the pierce on the first cut where I position the torch

Post by beefy »

Not sure exactly what you are doing so I'll just explain how I do things.

In Sheetcam I have my origin set to the lower left of the sheet, so basically when you put a sheet of metal on the table, you can align your torch over the lower left corner of your sheet and zero your work co-ordinates at that point.
And in Sheetcam if you move your mouse to the lower left corner of the sheet, you should see the X and Y coords at the bottom of the screen go to zero too.

Then the gcode that Sheetcam generates is relative to that bottom left corner, i.e. if the gcode said X100, Y100 the torch would go +100 in the X direction from the plate lower left corner, and +100 in the Y direction from the lower left corner.

Once you've zeroed your torch to the lower left corner of the sheet (i.e. on the table) it won't even matter if you jog your torch miles away from that position. Once your gcode starts it will move to the correct place and start the cut.

Remember, Sheetcam generates the gcode that tells the table exactly what to do. The only thing you have to do with the table is tell it where the work zero position is (i.e. how can the torch move to say X20, Y50 if it doesn't know where the origin point is). After that the table simply does whatever the gcode is telling it to do.

That's really all there is to it.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019

Return to “SheetCam”