Difficulty Importing

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
thefoundrymetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Difficulty Importing

Post by thefoundrymetal »

Hi all,

I am attempting to import an image that I purchased off etsy. I have contacted the seller and tried to work with SVG, DXF and EPS file types on this one. I am able to work with the images in CorelDraw, save them as DXF's, but when I import into sheetcam nothing is coming up. It is showing the layer, but not any image? When I imported the properly scaled SVG file (in SVG format) into Sheetcam, the image comes in but its huge. I am very confused on this, can anyone offer any insight?? Much appreciated :)
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Difficulty Importing

Post by Les Newell »

If you send me the dxf off-list I'll take a look and see what is going on. Alternatively you can scale the svg as you load it. Load the SVG into SheetCam then right-click and select 'measure' Click on a known point then hover your mouse over another known point. SheetCam will display the distance between them. Take the distance this should be and divide it by the distance you just measured. This is your scale factor. Import the drawing again. Just after you import the drawing a box pops up with a number of options, including a scale factor. Enter the scale factor you just calculated.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have found when loading SVG into SheetCam I always use a 1:1 ratio,but that is for drawing that are not metric.
As Les says you can change the ratio if it is not correct, I have used fractions to like .5 for half size. And if the the image is a small amount off I go by small increments like 1.25 or 1.05. Use the arrow to measure the image size (dimension at the bottom for X & Y) until you get it right.
Just click on New job to clear out the display and repeat with new image and ratio changes.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
thefoundrymetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by thefoundrymetal »

Well there ya go! It seemed to be the scaling issue. I am not used to working with SVG so didn't even think to look for this. Thank you so much folks for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

Return to “SheetCam”