HOw do I update my sheetcam to my tables computer if its not a networked PC?

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

HOw do I update my sheetcam to my tables computer if its not a networked PC?

Post by edclayton1 »

I see that on the computer in the house that I use to create drawings and then import them into Sheetcam that sometimes Sheetcam sees updates and updates itself. So how can I get these files and manually install them on the PC at the table that is not connected to the internet? Can I manually download the files from Sheetcam and install them on this PC via a flash drive. I would like to keep both my PC's running on the same updates just to make sure I don't somehow end up with some strange compatibility issues someday if that is possible.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: HOw do I update my sheetcam to my tables computer if its not a networked PC?

Post by little blue choo »

I believe I would install a router so I could access the internet from the shop. Assuming your shop is at your house. That way you never have to load anything on a flash drive and carry out.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: How do I update my sheetcam to my tables computer if its not a networked PC?

Post by edclayton1 »

Rick,
The only reason I don't have this computer on the network is from reading the recommendations from the CandCNC manual. They said turn off any networking other than the interface for the bladerunner system and turn off the firewall, no anti virus installed, etc... So I did all that when I set up the system. I'm just trying to do all I can for best results but for the past year now that hasn't really been working out so good for me anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: HOw do I update my sheetcam to my tables computer if its not a networked PC?

Post by motoguy »

My table computer is not connected to any network, nor the internet. I transfer all files to it via USB drive.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I always use flash drives to move my files between computers but I thought you were looking for another way.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
tcaudle

Re: How do I update my sheetcam to my tables computer if its not a networked PC?

Post by tcaudle »

edclayton1 wrote:Rick,
The only reason I don't have this computer on the network is from reading the recommendations from the CandCNC manual. They said turn off any networking other than the interface for the bladerunner system and turn off the firewall, no anti virus installed, etc... So I did all that when I set up the system. I'm just trying to do all I can for best results but for the past year now that hasn't really been working out so good for me anyway.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

You do have the option to install a second NIC card (Ethernet) and setup a second channel as the PUBLIC network with firewall on just that channel and tie it to you existing network. You still do not want to run an antivirus proactively (in the background) because its a system wide process. Another way is to use a USB Wifi adapter. You just need to be careful about what you browse and click on. I would not use it for e-mail. Lots of really ugly stuff is getting sent in e-mails> One really insidious one is ransom ware sent with the subject that your Fed Ex package has been delayed and you need to click on the attached "label". Its a zipped virus that runs and encrypts all of your files not only on the that PC but any others that are accessible from that PC! . Its a bear to get rid of without paying some hacker to unlock your files.

SheetCAM always puts their latest releases for download on their website so you can manually go to the site, download the release to a thumb drive and install it. If you already have SheetCAM on the PC, it updates it and does not wipe out any files or settings you have made.
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Thanks I think i will do it with the USB method just to be safe.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65

Return to “SheetCam”