Random pierces

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Random pierces

Post by littlefatbuddy »

Can someone help me with this issue? I put the picture of the drawing in Corel and then what it looks like in Sheetcam. Sheetcam keeps giving me these weird pierces. It is not showing as a start point but still picks up and goes to make these pierces.
Attachments
20160903_160316.jpg
20160903_154112-1-1.jpg
20160903_154145-1.jpg
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Random pierces

Post by sphurley »

Looks like an open vector. SheetCam will then treat it as a new cut.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

I deal with these all the time.

Go into Wireframe view, use the shape tool, and zoom right in to the affected area. Double click either side of the dodgy node to create two new nodes either side, then double click on the dodgy node to delete it. That normally creates a good export for me. I find the shape doesn't really change when adding the two nodes and deleting the "bad" one.

You may also find tiny loops in the curve in which case you just need to use the node handles to sort that out. If you don't know what I'm talking about then get on Youtube and go through some node editing tutorials.

I often find this problem where the start and end nodes meet.

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Yes, usually small loops in the end of a polyline or I find stray points sometimes. Stray single points seem to appear with fonts being exploded or created in Stencil Fonts.
In Autocad I window my drawing and do "properties" and make sure there are nothing but closed polylines. If the properties indicates points or lines, etc I go back in the drawing and look for them and delete them.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

As an update, two of these "random" pierces were small loops in the drawing. The second picture that shows the perfect round pierce is still unexplained. The third picture shows the drawing in Corel where the random pierce is. It is closed with no random nodes. I actually had this happen to drawing a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the answers and any help with this last random pierce is appreciated.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

If you keep zooming in infinitely you will eventually find a dot which can be just one node.
This can happen from accidentally clicking or even deleting either side of a line with the virtual delete tool which can leave a node where the lines paths intersected or guideline was as the virtual delete tool deletes from line to the line but not necessarily under the line itself.
Murray
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigrhamr »

littlefatbuddy wrote:As an update, two of these "random" pierces were small loops in the drawing. The second picture that shows the perfect round pierce is still unexplained. The third picture shows the drawing in Corel where the random pierce is. It is closed with no random nodes. I actually had this happen to drawing a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the answers and any help with this last random pierce is appreciated.
My guess is there is a stray node on or very close to the path in your Corel drawing. Then when SheetCam applies an offset it moves the cut line over but leaves the stray node in the same place.
I don't use Corel but can you select only the cut line and move it which would make the extra node show up?
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Did you try what I suggested earlier, using the shape tool, zoom right in then double click either side of the problem node to create new nodes either side, then double click on the problem node to delete it.

Keith
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

This may not be the same as I don't use Corel. but have found surprise nodes in SheetCam separate form the normal drawing. How I find them is after I have separated (crated new layer in SheetCam) I un-check them to see if there is anything under them. I have found single dots hiding below don't know why but sometime their there. I then make them another separate layer and un-check them to remove or don't use that layer in the operations plan.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

beefy, the little round spot(picture 2) is just outside of the blue arrow(picture 3). So should I try a three point polyline to make that turn or just a two point and make a different angle. I really can't zoom in much more. This piece was 3' wide and I blew that one little spot up as much as possible, that is what the third picture is showing in wireframe. I will definitely try looking for stray dots in sheetcam.
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

So I tried to uncheck the layer in Sheetcam and see if the gremlins were under there. Alas they were not. I then went in and deleted the node that was suspect I then replaced it with a three new nodes because it was on the corner. So the little arrow was where it had that weird pierce. When I moved the new nodes in, that caused the arrow to move around to the bottom of the letters. All three "E"s had this same problem in a new file. When I moved nodes it forced the arrow to go to a different place and that is where I get the round pierce. Some kinda weird deal here. I have tried all the suggestions and this is the second file, completely unrelated to the other file, that has done this.
Attachments
20160905_180354-1.jpg
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

How are you creating the letters? Is it only that letter "E" in that font? Does the extra pierce affect the finished product or is it just bugging you?
You could post the dxf , I'm sure several people would look into it. I don't use Corel.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
Dingo745
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dingo745 »

VectorMagic is good program for editing and converting vector images. I used it a lot when I had my laser engraver and I liked it simple and easy to use interface. http://vectormagic.com/desktop
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

I just type the letters in Corel. The extra pierce does affect the final piece. It will run the cut from S2 and then it will pick the torch up, move it to where these random pierces are, go down and pierce outside of the letter and then move on to the next pierce point. As you can see the pierce is not actually assigned a pierce number by sheetcam. It only did it on these letters(E), however I have used this very same font with the very same name and did not have this issue.
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

This is the previous piece that I did not have issues with. I will post the dxf when I get home.
Attachments
20160712_154515.jpg

Return to “SheetCam”