help please, interior cuts coming out as exterior

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

help please, interior cuts coming out as exterior

Post by thatboystevo »

why is the star and cannon being converted to exterior cuts? i am using inkscape to draw and sheetcam. thank you
Attachments
Capture.JPG
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: help please, interior cuts coming out as exterior

Post by acourtjester »

Because they are on the same layer Color 0, before you start anything you should separate your items into layers if there are different cut operations you want to do. Find the contour icon and click on it then as you move across the image you will see the color change as you cross a layer (that part of a drawing). When this happens right click the mouse and a menu will come up where you can name a new layer. Click on new layer and give it a new name. I use inside for those layer I want to cut with an inside offset, line for those that are not closed. Another trick is when I rename a layer like "inside" I go up to the layer menu and un-click that layer check. that will make any item I change to that layer disappear from the screen. By doing this I see when all the items I want on that layer are changed to that layer. When done I just put the check back in the box and the items will be back on the screen. Now go to the operations section and plan your cuts using the different layers the way you want to cut them. :D
Last edited by acourtjester on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by thatboystevo »

Ohh Ok i will look separate into layers thanks
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

I never separate layers on any of my tables.

What I think you need to do is in Sheetcam click on "operations" then change the inside offset to outside offset and Sheetcam will put all the leadins in the correct side.
Murray
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

There is an exclamation mark in the top left hand corner of the graphics window. This is a warning that SheetCam has detected an issue. If you hover your mouse over it you will see more information about the problem. Most likely it is complaining about open paths. With open paths SheetCam has no way of knowing which is the inside and which is the outside so it just makes a guess.

Turn off 'View->show segment ends' and make sure 'View->show path ends' is turned on. Now look for any white dots on your outlines. If you zoom in on the white dots you will probably see a gap or an overlapping line. These need to be fixed in your drawing.
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by thatboystevo »

Les is correct i did have open paths fixed it and now every thing is good. Thanks for the help

Return to “SheetCam”