Sheetcam acting wonky on a couple of pierce points

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Sheetcam acting wonky on a couple of pierce points

Post by motoguy »

Cutting a monogrammed letter for my wife to hang in her new office. After cutting, I noticed there were divots on a pair of mirrored interior cuts. At first, I thought this was a node issue. However, after checking the file I noticed that Sheetcam created pierce points, but did not create lead-in paths (there was plenty of room). I've attached a photo. The point in question is pierce point #29 (center screen). It has a identical twin on the other side of the file, and it does the same thing (pierce point, but no lead in)

Notice that the kerf width is too small to follow the drawing (lower left corner), so Sheetcam created this separate interior cutout piece, created a pierce point, but did not create a lead-in for it. I'm curious why this occurs. When selecting the cut parameters, I just selected "outside cut", letting Sheetcam determine the interior and exterior cuts (which it did fine).

I believe I've run into this "too narrow for kerf" issue before, but Sheetcam created the interior cut, as well as the lead-in. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I considered this to be a non-critical issue on the part. Though I saw the kerf issue before cutting, I also saw that SC created a new cut to split the part, so I just let it "do it's thing". I'm curious if anyone knows why it does this, and/or how to keep it from happening again (aside from "modify the drawing for kerf issues", as I'm fairly confident that will fix it).
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Sheetcam acting wonky on a couple of pierce points

Post by BTA Plasma »

Do you see that exclamation point. That is an error dialog created by sheetcam. This can mean there is something wrong with your drawing. Broken geometry, overlapping lines. If you hover over that with your mouse you will see the error.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

I have had that a few time too, dodgy drawing in my case I think, I just use the layer tool/touch on the outline and give it a new layer name, use that for the operation and leave the dodgy bit behind, it works sometimes.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I always make separate layers in SheetCam for inside and outside cuts. When I see a lead in problem with to small of an inside cut I change it to no-offset with no lead-ins. Sometimes it will clear the error then. The exclamation point will also show in the operations section with a different color for the operation. The explanation will stay on the screen longer for you to read it if you go to the operation with your cursor.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Les Newell
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Les Newell »

This issue should be fixed in the latest dev release.

Return to “SheetCam”