Multiple parts with multiple tools?

SheetCam related questions and tips can be posted here
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Multiple parts with multiple tools?

Post by jbc28 »

I cut a lot of decorative signs and such. Most of these contain initials or intricate designs that I cut slow using some non book specs. Currently, I have not messed around with adding layers, such as the outside cut, that could be cut at book specs. Assuming that I figure out how to do this in inkscape. Is it possible to nest parts, each with multiple layers and tools, in sheetcam? I would like to be able to cut all of the intricate slow stuff of each piece first, then pause to turn the amps up, and then cut out all of the fast sweeping cuts.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Multiple parts with multiple tools?

Post by SeanP »

It's easy! no need to create layers in inkscape, use the contours tool in Sheetcam to create a new layer and run separate operations from there.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I do like Sean says but then move the parts around to the lower left corner so it is easier to position them when positioning the torch for cutting.
If you want to nest the parts then save then from Inkscape as a single part and add them to sheetcam as additional parts and you can move then anywhere to nest. when nesting added single parts you can rotate or flip then using the controls at the bottom of the Sheetcam display just click and type in the changed value. Also in sheetcam if you use the contour function to select a part you can then remove them temporally by unchecking that layer in the layer section and it goes away. only the parts that are selected and operations done will be post processed.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jbc28 »

Is there a guide somewhere on using contours?

Right now I nest by adding each dxf as a new part. I then will move it around to fit the best I can, make duplicates as needed, and then once the sheet is filled I go back through each part and click on the needed tool.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I do all my nesting in my CAD program. I draw the 4x8 sheet and import the parts and rotate and nest them, then save as dxf and import to SheetCam.
I draw all my art files with multiple layers, usually inside cuts, outside cuts, scribe but sometimes others are needed. Using layers makes it easy to apply different tools in SheetCam.
I only use SheetCam to apply tools to the different layers and creating the g-code for Mach.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Do any of you use nesting software, or does everyone do it manually in CAD, Sheetcam, etc?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam

Return to “SheetCam”