New to Mach3

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

New to Mach3

Post by jmsrbrt »

Maybe I should head over to the Mach forum, but I'll start here. I've been reading the literature, but for anyone who is using Mach3, it talks about controlling the Z axis, which I'm assuming is the torch height. Is this designed into the software or hardware you buy to construct the system? Some "code" you have to program?? Bob.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: New to Mach3

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

The z-axis is the vertical axis, yes it controls torch (tool) height.

Height control is designed into CAM software, like Lazy Cam, or Sheet Cam, where you set desired rapid, pierce, and cut height values. The CAM software generates the necessary G-code using those values. Then Mach3 reads the G-code.

CAM software basically coordinates all 3 axii at once, z included, the only thing is, you'd need CAM software designed for plasma, with lead-ins and piercing timing variables.

Plasma machines can have an active THC (torch height control) that signals mach3 while cutting to maintain a constant height over non-flat material, it does not affect the above starting height variables.

Technically, lazy cam and sheet cam are simple CAM pre-processors, you'd also need CAD design software to draw stuff. Some software like cut studio does it all in one program.
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Guess I need to do some more reading, thanks. I have a Torchmate system now and was contemplating switching over to Mach3, and all the stuff that makes it work. I was just a tad bit concerned about how I was going to control the ATHC. Thanks again.

BTW, I see where your signature line says SE Texas...where abouts generally? I'm in San Marcos. Bob.
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
torchhead
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by torchhead »

jmsrbrt wrote:Guess I need to do some more reading, thanks. I have a Torchmate system now and was contemplating switching over to Mach3, and all the stuff that makes it work. I was just a tad bit concerned about how I was going to control the ATHC. Thanks again.

BTW, I see where your signature line says SE Texas...where abouts generally? I'm in San Marcos. Bob.

MACH will not control the ATHC if you have the Torchmate version. You will have to use a Post in the CAM that just moves X & Y and fires the torch. The ATHC then has to take over and do all of the moves per it's program setup. That approach is called "Stand Alone" (control toolpath software is not involved in the Torch Height) In fact the ATHC as provided by Torchmate is NOT a controllable Z axis at all.

Another fact that may stop things in mid stroke: The FlashCut pulse card used in the Torchmate will NOT run under MACH so the above may be a moot issue. If you want to run MACH you will have to replace most or all of the control electronics.

If you don't have the Torchmate ATHC and want a THC for MACH (providing you can run it) there are several to choose from.

With a THC designed to run with MACH it uses the internal THC logic MACH has to send it UP and DOWN commands to a full Z axis. The prep moves (touch-off, pierce height, etc) are done by the CAM (g-code) and the THC only cuts in after the pierce and plunge to begin the cut. By using a 3axis approach (full Z axis) you can basically use it for any CNC operation by changing the torch out for another tool, and changing the running profile in MACH.

TOM Caudle
North Texas
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Just to see if I'm understanding correctly, I have the Torchmate system...motors, electronics, the Height controller, software, all the bells and whistles. If I wanted to convert to the Mach 3, I'd need (I'm assuming) the Blade Runner package (3 axis? X, Y and Z?), some sort of controller to move my machine torch up and down, and what else? I'm guessing I can reuse my motors. Correct?
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”