Mach 4 Z axis probing error

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Hypercut
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Mach 4 Z axis probing error

Post by Hypercut »

I have just completed my 5x10 plasma table. I am running Mach4 with a Proma SD 150 THC. I built in a floating Z axis and I am having an issue with the machine stopping randomly when the torch feeds down and it trips the limit switch. Everything stops and I get an error in Mach 4, the error is "PMDX: no synchronized position from the motion planner". I have tried different feed rates and changed some of the motor tuning parameters and different post processors and I still get the same error. In the post processors I have selected G31 for probing. Again when I make a program for instance and it has 5 arc starts it might run all of them perfect and the next time it would stop on two or three of the arc starts. Anybody had an issue with this? Any info would sure be appreciated.
plasmanewbie
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Mach 4 Z axis probing error

Post by plasmanewbie »

Check out this thread viewtopic.php?t=23918 maybe you have a similar issue with it hanging in the tripped position
Hypercut
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Hypercut »

Thanks, I already revisited the limit switch and all the connections relating to it and couldn't find anything. I added a spring on the floating head to lighten to weight of the floating torch assembly. My reason was thinking that the weight was causing the metal to flex ever so slightly and maybe causing the limit switch to double bump and causing a fault, however that still did not fix the issue.
Metalmethod
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Metalmethod »

hello, did you ever figure out what was causing this? i am having the exact same problem.
Hypercut
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Hypercut »

I have not had any luck with the probing error in mach 4 when probing the Z axis during a program. I just noticed that they have released version 2 of Mach 4. I have not updated my program with the new version yet, but hoping that they have come up with a fix for the error problem. According to a representative that sold me my version of Mach 4 they have had several issues/problems with the probing part of the program. Apparently they are aware of the glitch in the software. If anyone has already downloaded the new version 2 of Mach 4 and used it for plasma cutting with a Z axis floating head let me know if you have had any issues?

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”