Mach3 Setup for Gecko g540 & PriceCNC AVHC10 THC

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
The-Meerkat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Mach3 Setup for Gecko g540 & PriceCNC AVHC10 THC

Post by The-Meerkat »

Hi All,
I’ve been busy adding a PriceCNC AVHC10 Torch Height Control to my plasma table and ran into some issues correctly setting up Mach3. The instructions in Price THC manual - (section 2.7.1: Setting up the AVHC10 in Mach3) don’t depict the Mach3 settings for the g540. I emailed Albert at Price CNC and he was able to send me the proper settings. I entered these new settings into Mach3 and all is now right in the universe. For g540 owners I have uploaded an attachment with the proper settings. (One note: For Output #2, it says use pin 1 or 17. I found from trial and error that pin #1 is the best choice. When testing, Pin #1 properly lights up the 2 blue LED’s on the AVHC10 indicating the anti-dive function is set up properly.)

All the best,

Scott Meer
Mach3 settings for g540 & AVHC10
Mach3 settings for g540 & AVHC10
Scott Meer
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Mach3 Setup for Gecko g540 & PriceCNC AVHC10 THC

Post by weldguy »

Thanks for posting Scott, in the past I have seen a few ask about this :Like
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Hey Can you follow up to this post in a month or so of use with the Price system and G540? Do you have ohmic sensing with your setup or floating head? I'm always looking for economical solutions for THC in our DIY Plasma Systems so I am just curious how things work for you. Also do you have a Diagram showing how the Price system hooks up to the G540? Thank you!
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

I too run a Gecko G540 and a Price. I wired it exactly as shown.
Geckog540pricethc.jpg
The-Meerkat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by The-Meerkat »

Hi Nacs Fab. I will keep updating and do a short video or two as I move forward. I’ve had the Gecko 540 on my machine since late 2014. The diagram above from Blackslacks is exactly the right one. My setup is the same. That diagram is straight from Price CNC’s manual. It’s all working out well for me.

I recently upgraded to the Price THC and while at it, I decided to upgrade the Zed too. So I now have a Karvecut Floating Head. I am also installing a Robot 3T ohmic sensor. I’m anxiously waiting for that sensor to arrive from Vietnam and it’s taking forever. In the meantime, I’m testing the Floating Head post processor that is a download available for free on the PriceCNC.com website right now. I’m also trying out a couple other post processors. In the end a few weeks from now, I want to use the ohmic as my primary and the floating head as a secondary backup for touch & go starts. I want a post processor that can flawlessly handle that.

I’m busy installing a Curtis refrigerated air dryer this weekend. I snagged a late model used one on eBay fairly cheap. If it does as well as I’m hoping it does, I’ll do a little video on it too.
Scott Meer
The-Meerkat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by The-Meerkat »

Attached is a more detailed look at the pins for a 12 pin Gecko 540 and the Price CNC AVHC 10 Torch Height Control. This one was sent to me by Albert Price of Price CNC. See the area I circled in red. Note the additional Mach3 output pin settings especially for Outputs 1 & 2. (In Mach3 they are pins 17 & 1 respectively)

All the best,
Scott Meer
Attachments
D65AD8A4-7F74-4E2B-B46B-E60122025B93.jpeg
Scott Meer
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

Hey Scott
I just noticed you are running thc on, up and down as active low. Is this what Price suggested? I run active high. What does Mach3's diagnostic page say when you do the output signal test?
Rae
The-Meerkat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by The-Meerkat »

Hi Blackslacks. Yes, I set it up with active low on for all three as in the 1st post. I got that in an email from Albert Price of Price CNC. Trusting the info to be correct, I just did exactly what it says.

When I did the setup, I paid particular attention to a section of the user manual on using the diagnostics screen to test the outputs. See the attachment. When you dial the Price THC to screen 6, you can then cycle through torch on, thc up and thc down in simulation mode and each of the corresponding led’s light up on the diagnostics screen. The picture attached is a little deceptive showing all three led’s on at the same time. In reality, when you dial screen 6 to torch on, only the torch on led lights up. Same when you turn the dial to thc up and down. Only one lights up at a time and they light for the proper functions. So I can’t speak for “active high” on those 3 settings, but this is working for me.

Who doesn’t like it when you finish doing a setup process then turn a knob and the proper light you’re expecting pops on, right?

All the best,
Scott Meer
Attachments
Mach3 Diagnostics Screen
Mach3 Diagnostics Screen
Scott Meer
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

My mistake. I must have got confuselled. I am running active low. Everything checks out in the diagnostic page. Thanks
Chuckweb
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Chuckweb »

I have a pricecnc on my Wrightcnc. It wasn’t hooked up when I bought it. So after rewiring the breakout board as suggested the THC up, down and torch leds are on without having pin 14 enabled for the test. If I click the active low on the THC the leads will shut off but not work.

The other issue is when I run a part it goes past the micro switch and pushed the torch into the part. Do I need the torch home activate or the torch++ activated? Do they share the same pin as THC up and down?

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”