Moving Mach 3 to new computer

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Moving Mach 3 to new computer

Post by AZ_guy »

The computer I was using for my table was constantly having issues. I backed up all my files because I was just waiting for the day for it to completely fail and it did. I bought a new computer and reinstalled Mach 3 and sheet cam and I can’t get anything to work. I never did the initial setup on this since it was set up when I bought it and honestly I have absolutely zero idea how to set this thing up. I have all the old files but don’t know what do to do with them. I tried just copying everything and that’s not working, that’s about the limit of my experience with this.

I also went from XP to windows 7 with this me computer.

Sorry to ask stupid questions but sitting at my desk staring at a bunch of stuff I don’t understand is getting me nowhere.

Thanks
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Moving Mach 3 to new computer

Post by djreiswig »

You should have an xml file for the profile you were using. That has all of the settings. There should also be a folder in the mach3 folder with macros for the profile. There will also be a .set file with the screen layout. Those 3 things should get you back.
Might also be some plugin files you might need depending on what you are running.
Hope that helps.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

There are a few things you need to do, Mach 3 is fairly easy if you have the old files that are on the old disc. When you ran Mach 3 did you need to tell it what profile you used when you started if like Plasma that you selected for a list of other profiles like this.
mach.JPG
mach.JPG (29.89 KiB) Viewed 812 times
If so you need to copy that file to the new system along with Mach 3
mach file.JPG
mach file.JPG (51.92 KiB) Viewed 812 times
This file has all you setting for Mach 3 for it to run as it did before the problem.
and your license file to make it a full version
mach lic.JPG
mach lic.JPG (43.91 KiB) Viewed 812 times
with SheetCam you need to find you license this is the name and location on my system it may be similar on your system
mach sheeet.JPG
mach sheeet.JPG (16.95 KiB) Viewed 812 times
I would just go to their site and download the newest version and install you license, this is done under the help tab in SheetCam.
On the old system you will need to copy you tools to the new install, here is where it is on my system
mach lic location.JPG
the default tool file it there also.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

Ok thanks, I just did that. Found the files for the profiles and copied that now it shows that as an option when I launch Mach 3. It’s not doing anything to control the torch though, almost like it’s not connected to the port. Is there a way I need to set up the parallel port on the new computer? During the install it gave me an error, I’ll post a picture up of it. What is the driver test?
Attachments
B668FA95-68E6-4128-A6E6-3535AB57E092.jpeg
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Forgot about the license file.
Sorry can't help with parallel port. Mine uses an Ethernet smoothstepper which is run with a plugin.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok first of all what operating system are you using Windows 7, 10 is it a 32 bit version?? The reason is that windows took the ability to use a parallel printer post away, even it the computer has one. If you are running a 64 bit system it is the same on go, hugh Bummer. If you can find an older system running a 32 bit version of window that has a parallel printer it may work. Best option is the change the BOB to a USB as that can be cheaper. There are many other options but the cost goes up. PM me it you want what I used when I had to do the same thing, I will give you the part needed, you will still be able to use your Mach 3 with it too, no real software change just its setup.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I think if you get the right cables you should be able to replace your parallel port with the smoothstepper. It emulates 3 parallel ports.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:36 am Ok first of all what operating system are you using Windows 7, 10 is it a 32 bit version?? The reason is that windows took the ability to use a parallel printer post away, even it the computer has one. If you are running a 64 bit system it is the same on go, hugh Bummer. If you can find an older system running a 32 bit version of window that has a parallel printer it may work. Best option is the change the BOB to a USB as that can be cheaper. There are many other options but the cost goes up. PM me it you want what I used when I had to do the same thing, I will give you the part needed, you will still be able to use your Mach 3 with it too, no real software change just its setup.
I didn’t even think about that. I think the last computer was still windows XP, of course I can’t rmember no that I’m trying to think about it. The new computer is windows 7 64bit. I only bought this computer because it still had a parallel port but didn’t think about the compatibility with windows. I can replace the BOB to a usb one but I thought that the parallel port ones worked better, I may remembering that completely wrong though. I’ll PM you.
AZ_guy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AZ_guy »

djreiswig wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:28 pm I think if you get the right cables you should be able to replace your parallel port with the smoothstepper. It emulates 3 parallel ports.
What is a smoothstepper? Would it still use the BOB with the parallel port connection?
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

https://warp9td.com/
You would use it ahead of your BOB. The ESS has 3 connectors that act like parallel ports. I have not done it, but I believe you could just get a ribbon cable to go from the 26 pin on the ESS to a DB25 connector. Then you add the plugin to Mach3 get the Ethernet port set up. With the ESS you can add more BOBs with the 2 extra ports to get more inputs and outputs if you need them.
I added a second BOB to my C&CNC controller using the 3rd port on the ESS to get some more I/O. It was fairly straightforward.
If you post questions on their forum, the guy that builds them (I think his name is Andy) is good about answering quickly.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

AZ_guy PM sent with the info
have fun
Tom
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder