Torch On/Off button doesn't light up

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Torch On/Off button doesn't light up

Post by minnfatz »

A couple of weeks ago, I had the hard drive crash on the computer I used to run Mach. I got my hands on a different computer and loaded everything back up. I tried to make some cuts the other night and it did OK, but I'm sure some fine tuning will have it running like the old machine. The problem I am having is when I run the program, the torch fires, but the torch on/off button doesn't light up. The reason this is a problem is the torch head starts moving before the pierce, so once the torch fires, cuts the pattern, and ends up back at the starting point, there is about 1/4" of material holding the cut out part on to the main sheet. This used to happen every once in awhile when I was running my old computer, and all I had to do was exit Mach and start it back up again. Re-starting the program doesn't seem to fix this anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas?
robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Torch On/Off button doesn't light up

Post by robertspark »

You can try this (it sounds like Mach3 is not watching the ARCOK feedback from the torch and just starting its pierce delay from the time M3 is issued).

Go to Config >> Ports & Pins >> Mill Options >> THC Options
and tick the Allow THC UP/DN Control even if not in THC Mode.

That should enable ARCOK checking / waiting by Mach3 before motion begins / pierce delays start / count down.
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

I think that did the trick! Thank you robertspark!
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. I started doing some cutting today and everything seemed fine for the first couple of cuts, then it started doing the same thing again. The movement would start before the torch fired. I restarted Mach several different times and a couple of times it would work fine for a couple of cuts, then act up. but on a couple of other restarts it would act up right away.

Any more ideas out there?
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

What is your setup? (Plasma cutter, motion controller, torch height control)

Can you post your mach3 profile please.

What version of mach3 are you running?
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

robertspark wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 am What is your setup? (Plasma cutter, motion controller, torch height control) Hypertherm 45XP, CandCNC Bladerunner Ethercut, DTHC IV

Can you post your mach3 profile please. It shows Ether-Cut UG1

What version of mach3 are you running? I have Mach3 Version R3.043.077
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Tom would be best to help you out, I'm sure he will be along shortly as it's a cancnc system under mach3 I'm sure he knows his system better than anyone like me could guess
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

Thanks for the reply, I will cross post on the CandCNC forum.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

If this is a longer (than 25ft) hose there can be delay problems . There is a specific M3 macro that shoul dlook at the ARC OK screen indicator and not release motion until its on. The macros for a MACH Profile live under the macros folder in sub folders named the same as the running profile. If you have made new profiles and did not use MACH Loader and CLONE them then they may be missing the custom M3.

Also its really important that you set the Plunge safety Clearance in SHeetCAM to a reasonable number (ike .5 inch) and rapid height to about double that . The Z should slow down to touch off speed at the Plunge safety height...it should be visible . Letting it slam down full rapid speed onto the metal THEN starting touch off gives a false touch off and the Z is lower than it thinks and cause problems on subsequent pierces.

When you have cutting problems you need to always harken back tot he INITIAL CUT TEST in the DTHC setup manual (about page 100 ) so you can narrow down what is and what is not working in the sequence.
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help with this issue. I changed the Plunge Safety Clearance in SheetCAM and the problem seems to have gone away. The only issue I am having now, is that the value always goes back to the original small number every time I change the material in Sheetcam. I try to save the material with a different value, but it never stays at what I want it to be. It's not a huge deal, because I can check it before I try to make some G-code, but it would be nice if it would stay at what I put it at. Any thoughts???
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

Hello, anyone?

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”