Gcode metric Mac3 in inches

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Gcode metric Mac3 in inches

Post by hsolve »

Well good morning to all. I have encountered a problem. My gcode is in metric mach 3 displays the gcode as metric, mach 3 settings metric, but movement and DRO is in inches. I have no idea what I have done to get this and now also no idea on how to resolve this. Checked motor tuning and all seems pretty much where they were set. Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated :?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Gcode metric Mac3 in inches

Post by acourtjester »

check under config "select native units" and make your selection, and settings in the lower right is another place to check
setting 2.JPG
setting 2.JPG (24.96 KiB) Viewed 630 times
settings.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good morning acourtjester. I have done those things and to no avail. Even though gcode is in metric mach 3 interprets everything into inches (1mm turns into 1"). I am now stuffed.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Are you using SheetCam to generate your G-code? Are you converting from a DXF file or SVG file.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good morning acourtjester.
Yes sheetcam to generate gcode and also yes dxf imported drawings. By the way all was fine yesterday, was having input from Les regarding mach 3 not liking open contours. He suggested a change of post processor which made no difference so I switched back. I am using (candcnc 12d ) processor which has always worked fine. I cannot determine if that has had any effect. I now am so lost, I have no idea what to do. Have in mach 3, setting changed to (previous 22 file settings) and now also no smoothe stepper operation. It just gets worse. I have to get away from this or something will be dissmantled very quickly and thus poorly, this will I know not help me at all. I have tried all the odvious things people have suggested to no avail, and also did those checks before I posted this problem. This is something outside the square, I just don't know what.
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good morning matter has been resolved. In mach 3 native units has to be set in inches and saved. The pulses per unit of measure, well unit of measure is inches. Well and behold I've done this to myself fiddling with stuff, trying to resolve other problems. NOTE TO SELF NO MORE FIDDLING.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Don't be hard on yourself, we learn by fiddling the main thing is to learn how to back out if things go bad. Having problems help you get the big picture of how things are interconnected. You are here to help understand the operations and software that run a table, I do not think there is a better place to do that, and many are happy to help. :D
Have fun
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good morning acortjester and thankyou for your support. It is very frustrating that the solutions sometimes are right in front of us and we can't see them. When we get frustrated, lost and you doubt yourself you can get really lost. A friend of mine (computer guy) came around and in short he found it, as I said to him we are out by a factor 25.4. What we can do is to recalculate the steps per unit of linear motion in motor tuning and all will be right. He told me that there must be some box ticked that will change that back to where it was. Low and behold there it was. I did the setup some many years ago that I can't remember all the details, hence what seems logical now is not right. Anyway again thankyou for your help, very much appreciated :D :D :D

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”