"NOTHING TO FREEHOLD" MESSAGE

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

"NOTHING TO FREEHOLD" MESSAGE

Post by enzed »

I was plasma-cutting a sheet of 1 mm (about 19 gauge) mild steel when the process suddenly stopped and the message, “Nothing to feedhold” appeared at the bottom of the Mach3 screen. And on the G-code list, it stopped at “G04 P2.0”. I waited about 5 seconds then clicked ‘pause’, then start, after which the cutting process resumed again and continued uninterrupted until it finished. The entire job took 3 minutes and 44 seconds. This subsequently happened again when I cut a second piece of the same job, and also whilst cutting it from the same material (which I had not cut before).

If of any relevance, the plasma cutting ‘tool’ which I had compiled has the following parameters: 30A, 115V cutting speed of 2.5m (8.2 ft) per minute; 0 second pierce delay; pierce height of 3.8 mm; cut height of 1.5 mm; and a pause after cutting of 0 seconds. Could any of these settings perhaps be the trigger for this message? I will be very grateful if someone can explain what this means, why it happened, and what I must do to prevent it recurring in the future.

Thank you,
enzed
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: "NOTHING TO FREEHOLD" MESSAGE

Post by WyoGreen »

The G04 P2.0 told the program to dwell at that spot for 2 min. You'll need to track down why that line was in there.
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Firstly, my apologies to everybody, I did not notice that I typed "freehold" instead of "feedhold" in the subject heading.

And thank you WyoGreen for the explanation, though I have no idea how this command entered the list, or what to do to track it down. Never the less, should it occur again, I will know what has happened.

enzed
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

You didn't say what program you are using to generate your g-code. That might help us track down how the dwell got put in there.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Hi Steve,
The G-code was generated by Sheetcam, version 6.0.26.
enzed

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”