Motor tuning again

Mach3 and Mach4 questions, tips and topics can be posted here
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Motor tuning again

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Post 2 of 3 for the evening.

Easier to post a video than writing about it and getting everyone confused. This is about steps per, velocity and acceleration. The video shows all my settings etc.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

https://youtu.be/i6dPBW6SQRQ
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Motor tuning again

Post by acourtjester »

I am not expert but here how I set my tables up, I use Mach 3 to calibrate the steps per for each axis. Since you are using CandCNC's screen you may not be able to get the the calibration setup screen. So go to the "view" tab ot the top and click on Load Screens this will show a menu of the screen on your system for Mach select "plasma". The screen will go gray for a second and them change back to the standard Mach plasma screen. You then can go to the setting page and there you will fine the Axis Calibration/Set steps per unit button. Click on that and a small menu come up with "pick Axis to Calibrate" select the one you want to do click OK. This brings up another menu for you to enter a distance enter a number (start with a short one like 100mm) hit the enter key and it moves. Then measure how far it did move and
and enter that into the next box displayed and Mach will calculate the steps per. repeat this about 3 time going longer each time to get more actuate, then move to the next axis and repeat this operation.
Now for Velocity and Acceleration use the keyboard to move each axis back and forth increasing the Velocity until the motor starts to loose steps and gunts. Back off the number value until you are happy with the Velocity and it works smoothly. Acceleration is going to be less I have used 1/4 the value of the Velocity as a guide, but again play with it until you are happy things run smoothly, mainly you want to be sure it does not lock up when it is told to move.
Forgot this after you done change the screen back to the original one, there may be only 3 to choose from so should not be hard.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Jester,

That is awesome! I have been wondering how some people on youtube have that screen on Mach3 and i don't. Thankyou i will try it all tonight as soon as i can.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

I foind the screen. I have now tuned the z axis which is great! Is there some reason that i do this and then it won't let me jog any of the axes unless i reset and then turn it back on again?
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I found that you can only jog on the program and diagnostic pages with the keyboard. I just switch pages and move the axis back to where I started the measurements to repeat. Not sure if that is the answer to your question.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Mach3 & Mach4 CNC”